• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need suggestions on Phazer vs. Nytro

matpoh

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT
I am looking for some suggestions on a second sled purchase. Living in Iowa, most of our local riding is done in ditches from town to town, virtually never groomed. I currently have an 09 Apex that I ride on our family trips to MN and WI. I am looking to add a back-up sled that is more suited to ditches since that is not always the best use of the Apex.

I am going back and forth between 08-12 Phazer or Nytro. I think I would lean towards the Nytro BUT also want to be able to give the sled to one of my kids (12 & 14) to go on rides with us at times.

I like the upright feel and weight of the Phazer (especially for ditch riding) but think it may be under-powered for me (220lbs.) Just not sure I want to hand over a Nytro to our 12yo. son.

Suggestions...?

My grandson had a Phazer GT, and then an XTX when he was 14-15, and he loved them. I am well over the 220 mark, and I rode the Phazers and found that they were a lot of fun to play with, but they were not comfortable for me on an all day trail ride. The Nytro is going to have more power and probably be a lot more comfortable if you are putting in long days on the trail, but the Phazer was a lot of fun for just "playing" in the ditches and bumps. The Phazer is surprisingly fast; it won't match a Nytro on the lake, but it can hold its own most of the time on a trail.

How much lighter is the Phazer?What did they weigh?

If you take the 2009 year models, Google tells me that the Phazer is only 31 lbs lighter than a Nytro comparing the RTX package dry weights.

Nytro (I own)
- Much better power to weight ratio (helps with deeper tracks, top end speed, etc.)
- Can stretch it's legs a bit more (top end speed 100+ mph)
- More comfortable to ride all day (seating)
- Probably a bit too much sled for a 12 year old unless they're an experienced rider and responsible

Phazer (BIL owns)
- Felt super tippy when I rode it around the yard, but likely a good thing for playing in the ditch
- Very narrow/small seat
- I believe around 75 mph top end speed with a 1.5" track (RTX model)

If I was getting something for my 12 year old I'd buy a Phazer. Being a 4 stroke it's got plenty of pep to be fun and will keep someone a little more honest blazing across the field. It pulls awesome wheelies riding 2 up:-o

phazer is fun to throw around off trail as an xtx with 1.5" track. have not tried a 121 with the 1.5" track off trail but did ok for me with the stock 1". as i had an 09 rtx, it only hit 75 mph tops but still did ok on the ty ride in the up.

if you can get the phazer xtx go for it as they are a lot of fun.

I have ridden both but only owned a Nytro.

The phazer is not a passive ride. Meaning a lot of body language is needed to make it handle.

Nytro is better suited to long days on the trail, and with a little work can handle fairly well.

Gas tank on the phaser is dinky small - no range. Nytro with a trail tank is pretty awesome.

Both machines are fairly tall rides, so a smaller frame will not be comfortable.
Someone younger would be able to influence a phaser easier.
MS

Thanks all for the feedback. I really just want to get the Nytro as my back-up sled but can't see putting my son on one at this point. Probably will just jump on the first good off season deal and be ready for next winter. He currently rides a Polaris Fusion 600 and loves it. He can make due for this year. But the older he gets, the closer the Nytro will be best for all of us...
I'm terrible and making decisions.

For what it's worth, my son was 13 when I got the 08 Nytro for him to ride. Of course, he had previously been riding a 01 Phazer 500 Deluxe.

Thanks all for the feedback. I really just want to get the Nytro as my back-up sled but can't see putting my son on one at this point. Probably will just jump on the first good off season deal and be ready for next winter. He currently rides a Polaris Fusion 600 and loves it. He can make due for this year. But the older he gets, the closer the Nytro will be best for all of us...
I'm terrible and making decisions.
For what it is worth, I went from a Fusion 600 to a Vector, the same 1049cc engine that is in the Nytro. At the time, I remember thinking that the performance was very similar in terms of acceleration and speed, just that I really loved the smoothness and torque of the 1049.

Find the best deal at the time you decide to purchase. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Nytro will have more longevity, and power off trail.

That being said, the first 3500 of 3500 miles I put on our Phazer FX, and my daughter did the last 1000+ miles. We both loved that sled, and I was pushing 230-240lbs. Don't worry about power, worry about comfort and wind protection. If your rider has good clothes, it's a non issue. And yes, a 121" 1.5" freeride track wakes up the shorty phazers like the XTX. I'm not sure if those tracks are still available. But it was night/day difference from my buddies phazer with stocker ripsaw.

Good luck!

I've had both. I Turbo'd the Nytro. What a monster. Now, the Phazer is just fun. I clutched the Phazer to use the torque better, and so the motor isn't spinning, as it has plenty of torque to push it. I'm 240lbs, and I just find the Phazer to put a smile on my face. Now if your on trails and running 70mph+ most of the time, then get the Nytro. I'm thinking about putting the whole family on Phazers, then I don't have to worry about it.

Back