• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery,recommendations? Higher cca?

JCviper

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper LTX-DX
YAHOO
jcstang06@yahoo.com
TWITTER
Jcgoblue2
The battery tender has been on for three days now. Solid red light and a occasional green blip. Thinking about all the cranking and or backfire issues, maybe more cca might help? Is it safe to go over the 310 stock?

Addition of Cold Cranking Amps won't hurt anything. It is the battery's rating for how many amps it can deliver in a given time. Its really a measure of how fast the chemistry of the battery can convert chemical potential to electrical potential combined with how large the battery is. a 12v flash light battery will not start an engine because it doesn't have much chemistry to make enough electricity fast enough and the chemistry is too slow. Likewise, larger batteries have a harder time starting when cold because the chemistry is slow to convert into electricity. Different chemistries perform differently in cold conditions. This has an effect. Most of our batteries are
AGM these days. Therefore, the only way to get more CCA in an AGM battery is to increase the size and quantity of the chemistry. The starter will only use what it can take and what the cables can deliver.

Last edited:
So I guess it sounds like I should just stick with the same cca. Now it's time to decide what brand.

I didn't necessarily say that. Additional CCA won't hurt anything, but the cable distance from the battery to the starter are already thin and long. They probably can't carry much more than they already are. A battery alone probably won't give you anything additional. If you aren't having issues starting, I'd just replace it with an identical battery.

Personally, I'm planning on changing my battery to lithium ion and adding some super capacitors by the starter when my batteries need replacing. I notice my sled struggles to start in extreme cold. While lithium ion chemistry is not good in cold, it can deliver more CCA because it is a faster chemistry. The supercaps will make up for the slow chemistry while cold. The lithium ion batteries will also save some weight.

stock CCA in an Apex is only 210 or 220 CCA. i went with an interstate battery rated at 320 a couple years ago. what are you putting it in? wouldn't think the viper or vector would be any different then what's in the Apex

By his picture, I assumed a viper. Possibly a bad assumption.

16 Viper. The tender light just went solid green after 5-6 days.I am going to put it back in and see what happens. I will still buy a new one as a backup if needed.

I am a firm believer in a good battery tender. I've had the Optimate bring back several batteries from the dead now. Mine is mounted in my trailer on the wall. I will probably get another one for the trailer break battery given the success on the sled batteries.

Back