• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper voltage issue

Snowaddict

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX-LE
TWITTER
mstahl88
Sorry, if this has been addressed somewhere before, but I looked at numerous older threads without a solid answer. Here's the story. 2015 Viper LTX-SE. Was at about 70 miles last Sat when got P0562 (low voltage) code. Apparently, the headlights were more dim than normal too. Engine also was idling higher when stopping. Turned sled off at intersection (thinking this was best and may possibly reset itself.) Tried starting it again, but it would not. Voltage read in the 9s. (Battery was replaced just about 2 yrs ago to the week for the record.) Luckily, we were only 20 yards off the road and by a watering hole. 2 of us rode back to get truck/trailer. When getting back to the sled and trying it again for the hell of it, the sled again didn't start, but was closer and voltage was in the 10s. Loaded it up and took back to cabin and put battery tender on it for the night. Next morning the tender didn't show at 80% charge yet, but voltage was up around 11.7-11.9. Sled was able to start and then I ran it for 20 min with mix of idling and doing some hot laps. While on the throttle it stayed around the same voltage and touched 12.0 once. So, went and tested battery, which had a dead cell apparently. Got a new battery (almost exact same, but they only had one that had lower cranking amps, which apparently only matters in the dead cold.) Tried it and got pretty much the same results. Then put tender on it, even though it was supposedly charged fully. Light showed red. So, left it charge for another couple hours until 80% (flashing green on tender.) Tried it again and it was 12.0-12.3 at start and mostly 11.9-12 while running with throttle on. My Sidewinder may be 11.9 at start, but as soon as I get on the throttle it jumps to 14.1-14.3. Also, tried an A/C 8000 for comparison, which was 13.2. Called the dealer, whom said yes, the voltage should be 14 when on the throttle. So, my question is what are normal viper Voltage numbers and what might be the issue? Never had starter issue (or any other mechanical issues before, other than battery.) Dealer said maybe voltage regulator or stator? Sled is at like 2615 for mileage too btw. Any thoughts? Also, was wondering since it didn't seem to ever go below 11.9 when running, would it be ok to run temporarily and just charge nightly? Or too much of a risk. Only reason I'm asking is because we have an annual trip in 2 days and obviously won't get figured out in that time. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, if this has been addressed somewhere before, but I looked at numerous older threads without a solid answer. Here's the story. 2015 Viper LTX-SE. Was at about 70 miles last Sat when got P0562 (low voltage) code. Apparently, the headlights were more dim than normal too. Engine also was idling higher when stopping. Turned sled off at intersection (thinking this was best and may possibly reset itself.) Tried starting it again, but it would not. Voltage read in the 9s. (Battery was replaced just about 2 yrs ago to the week for the record.) Luckily, we were only 20 yards off the road and by a watering hole. 2 of us rode back to get truck/trailer. When getting back to the sled and trying it again for the hell of it, the sled again didn't start, but was closer and voltage was in the 10s. Loaded it up and took back to cabin and put battery tender on it for the night. Next morning the tender didn't show at 80% charge yet, but voltage was up around 11.7-11.9. Sled was able to start and then I ran it for 20 min with mix of idling and doing some hot laps. While on the throttle it stayed around the same voltage and touched 12.0 once. So, went and tested battery, which had a dead cell apparently. Got a new battery (almost exact same, but they only had one that had lower cranking amps, which apparently only matters in the dead cold.) Tried it and got pretty much the same results. Then put tender on it, even though it was supposedly charged fully. Light showed red. So, left it charge for another couple hours until 80% (flashing green on tender.) Tried it again and it was 12.0-12.3 at start and mostly 11.9-12 while running with throttle on. My Sidewinder may be 11.9 at start, but as soon as I get on the throttle it jumps to 14.1-14.3. Also, tried an A/C 8000 for comparison, which was 13.2. Called the dealer, whom said yes, the voltage should be 14 when on the throttle. So, my question is what are normal viper Voltage numbers and what might be the issue? Never had starter issue (or any other mechanical issues before, other than battery.) Dealer said maybe voltage regulator or stator? Sled is at like 2615 for mileage too btw. Any thoughts? Also, was wondering since it didn't seem to ever go below 11.9 when running, would it be ok to run temporarily and just charge nightly? Or too much of a risk. Only reason I'm asking is because we have an annual trip in 2 days and obviously won't get figured out in that time. Thanks in advance.
The stator need to be tested. It's any easy test if you have a multimeter. If the stator checks OK then replace the rectifier/regulator. If you run it with a fully charged battery it'll run until the voltage drops to low to run the electronics and you'll be stranded again.

The stator need to be tested. It's any easy test if you have a multimeter. If the stator checks OK then replace the rectifier/regulator. If you run it with a fully charged battery it'll run until the voltage drops to low to run the electronics and you'll be stranded again.
Thanks for the response. Do you know what the correct voltage should be? (idle and running)

12 volt systems have basically a standard voltage requirement for a vehicles. Usually a good fully charged battery should read 12 to 12.5 volts. A running charging system should output 13 to 14 volts. Battery cranking voltage shouldn’t drop below 9.5 volts and if it does that normally indicates a bad battery. You can check the stator by unplugging it from the regulator and measure resistance between all three wires or with it unplugged and the engine running measure the voltage output between the three wires. It should measure above 30 volts AC and increase with rpm’s.

12 volt systems have basically a standard voltage requirement for a vehicles. Usually a good fully charged battery should read 12 to 12.5 volts. A running charging system should output 13 to 14 volts. Battery cranking voltage shouldn’t drop below 9.5 volts and if it does that normally indicates a bad battery. You can check the stator by unplugging it from the regulator and measure resistance between all three wires or with it unplugged and the engine running measure the voltage output between the three wires. It should measure above 30 volts AC and increase with rpm’s.
Excellent info. Thanks again.

Looks like you already received excellent advise. Just letting you know that my 2014 XTX, with new fully charged battery this season, shows 12.6 volts not running, dips down to 11.9-12.1 volts while cranking, and averages 14.1-14.2 volts while running.

Looks like you already received excellent advise. Just letting you know that my 2014 XTX, with new fully charged battery this season, shows 12.6 volts not running, dips down to 11.9-12.1 volts while cranking, and averages 14.1-14.2 volts while running.
Thanks for the info. That is good to know real world info/numbers and be able to compare. It does reinforce the fact that I definitely have a charging issue with mine.

You are very welcome. Hope the troubleshooting/repair goes as smoothly as possible for you!

Back