• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New belt installed and it is squealing - Fix?

We received about 2 inches of snow here in southern minnesota on Friday mourning that lasted about 3 hours. We went for a 20 mile ride to make sure everything is working before the season really gets going. About one month ago I put a new belt on for the season and now I'm getting a whistling sound when I come to a stop. The belt is the exact same as the one that I took off. Is this sound from the belt stretching and breaking in or is it to tight? Is this from the belt getting to hot? It seemed to whistle less the longer we rode.

Did you do anything to prep the belt? A lot of people suggest to scuff the residue off the sides, and some have even said to run it through the dishwasher. I generally take some sand paper to the side walls.

Your belt is tighter than the one you replaced it with. The sound should dissapear by the time you have 50-75 miles on the new belt. If it doesnt you'll need to adjust deflection but I'm quite certain it'll dissapear on its own.

What kind of belt is it? I noticed mine squealed when I put on an Ultimax XS. I changed back to an 8DN as soon as I could and it did not make a noise. Typically when they break in all is good, but like it was mentioned you may have to adjust the deflection.

The 8DN belt was replaced with a newer version early last year and it is just a bit wider than the original. This would be the cause of the squealing as it is now tighter.

You can adjust the belt by adding 3 washers inside the secondary (see your manual) or if you can live with the squealing, let it be, it will eventually subside.

If you cross reference the part numbers for the belt you can see that the numbers from your old belt to the new one are one digit off. There is a number 1 in place of the older number 0.

The belt is a Yamaha belt. It might be the old version. I think it is the spare off my old Nytro that I never used. I didn't do any prep work. I will ride it some more. If the sound doesn't go away I will go get a different belt.

Take your secondary off the jackshaft & you should see 3 bolts on the backside of the secondary. If you have small washers under the boltheads, remove them, and you will eliminate the squealing.

As your belt wears down, you can put the washers back to make the belt rise up in the secondary so it sits flush with the secondary sheave.

I am constantly adjusting for belt wear with the washers - works well.

As mentioned - refer to your manual as it describes it better than I can.

Much easier/cheaper than buying belts till you get one that works.

I believe yammy makes two different thicknesses of washers so you can fine tune your belt height.

As I mentioned earlier, the new belt WILL be wider than what you have and will squeal. Changing the belt will not necessarily cure the sound. Adjusting your secondary WILL.

Back