• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New sled ??

sheetwright

Northwoods Snowmobiling Facebook
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 Yamaha SRX
My Dad is thinking about buying a sled for my 18 year old sister. She has never ridden a sled in her life. She is tiny about 105lbs if I had to guess. Wondering what you think a vector, or a Phazer for a female novice? Most or all of the riding will be in the Eagle river area, on trails. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys

i would have to say that the phazer might be the sled for her,much lighter than the vector and easier to throw around,my wife has a phazer and she wont even ride my new 09 vector cuz she thinks its too bulky,the gt model is a warmer sled too

is there any way a buddy or relative will let her try the sleds you mentioned? if she does not find it comfortable, you will never get her out riding after the 1st time. of course if he just wants a spare sled i understand completely.

sheetwright said:
My Dad is thinking about buying a sled for my 18 year old sister. She has never ridden a sled in her life. She is tiny about 105lbs if I had to guess. Wondering what you think a vector, or a Phazer for a female novice? Most or all of the riding will be in the Eagle river area, on trails. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Go buy the XP MXZ 500SS... It's a light sled with a good power and not to crazy. That motor has been around since 1999. It's pretty reliable. It's not the same motor as the H.O, SDI or E-tec. It's much more reliable... I have 6000KM on my wifes and it still pulls 148PSI on each cylinder. 108hp to boot and 399lbs..... Plus they are cheap and I would put her on that before any of the lower end Yamahas. All Yamaha has is the phazer and it's not much of a sled if you ask me... The Vecter? Just my cents..

The only issue with the phazer is that it tops out at 80 mph. The vector will be too heavy probably for her. 105 is about as light as you can be and get a sled to go where you want it to.

The aforementioned mxz500ss, is cheap, and has a solid motor that she wont outgrow. That is a motor that has been around since 99, and is known to be pretty darn reliable. At around 5000 miles any series 3 doo motor loosens up too much and need a rebuild. Plus the weight is low on that doo.

If you really want to stick to yamaha, a phazer would be a good bet.

Have her hit up a yamaha demo ride. Then she can try every one she wants.

I would say demo rides. My buddys wife would ride faster on a bigger sled.... just something to keep in mind. It is all in what she wants and better for her to try them!!!

The things we were looking for are electric start, reverse, ease of use, and reliable. In no paticular order. It would also be used as a spare sled for a relative or someone visiting my Dad while he is staying at his cottage. So most of the people would be novices, and not very agressive. I agree with the test ride though. The four stroke was just an idea for ease, the gas, and the smell. All your typical reasons. Thanks for the opinions guys

My wife went from a 05 vector to a 09 phazer this year and loves it. She feels more in control and less intimidated. I have put slydogs and a freeride on it, but she loved it before that. It accelerates fast enough, and she does not miss the top end. She rides it more aggressively than the vector and has picked up at least 5mph on the trail.

Really have to agree with the demo rides, if you can. Otherwise, maybe ask your dealer if she could try one there.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Great sled, great price, not out the new sled loss out the door value drop. My step son is a tiny 105 and he handles a 95 600 2 up 136 sled no problem. He handles my warrior even better. I don't think she'd have any trouble on a vector. For trail ridding the weight difference sn't much, and I think the vector is a more comfy sled for long days. Maxdlx

SledFreak said:
sheetwright said:

Go buy the XP MXZ 500SS... It's a light sled with a good power and not to crazy. That motor has been around since 1999. It's pretty reliable. It's not the same motor as the H.O, SDI or E-tec. It's much more reliable... I have 6000KM on my wifes and it still pulls 148PSI on each cylinder. 108hp to boot and 399lbs..... Plus they are cheap and I would put her on that before any of the lower end Yamahas. All Yamaha has is the phazer and it's not much of a sled if you ask me... The Vecter? Just my cents..

What he said,except for the sdi's not being reliable my wifes 08 sdi has 6,000 miles on it with no problems. Do stay away from the e-tech though,it's not proven in my book. Also,as stated above you don't have to stick to one brand. I use to think I had to only buy Yamaha's,but thats not true i think they are too heavy for small light females,and the Phazer is a turd imo. My wife has became a better rider on the Doo(came off an 06 Apex GT) and enjoys her self alot more. She can't stop telling me how much she loves her sled. I know now I never have to wait up for her like I had to before on a heavier sled,as I have said before "Doo XP's are good women sleds" All just my .02

yamaouch08 said:
SledFreak said:
sheetwright said:

What he said,except for the sdi's not being reliable my wifes 08 sdi has 6,000 miles on it with no problems. Do stay away from the e-tech though,it's not proven in my book. Also,as stated above you don't have to stick to one brand. I use to think I had to only buy Yamaha's,but thats not true i think they are too heavy for small light females,and the Phazer is a turd imo. My wife has became a better rider on the Doo(came off an 06 Apex GT) and enjoys her self alot more. She can't stop telling me how much she loves her sled. I know now I never have to wait up for her like I had to before on a heavier sled,as I have said before "Doo XP's are good women sleds" All just my .02

womens sleds eh yeah right. Just cause a yamaha goes faster dont mean #*$&@ when are you gonna do 100mph... my tnt is plenty fast and gets their like lightning.

Back