• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

News letter out

Thanks BountyHunter, I should not have labeled you as "disappearing" but after 3 days, it seemed like something was up . . .

As one of the Warrior owners with the problem, I appreciate your input on this. for some reason, the Canadian dealer and tech resources are more "tuned in" to this problem and it seems there is some movement toward resolution. Until we are all sure the MM exchanger will fit on a machine that is studded, I don't think any of us want to use that unit. My dealer DID install one in a Warrior and it was hit by the studs. He said it does not just "bolt in" because of the issue with the tunnel protectors having to be cut.

Please do keep us informed on this . . . Once again I salute you "neighbors our North" - you are to snowmobiling what blood is to the body. Irreplaceable!

Extend the drop brackets by 1 inch and add 3/4 inch tunnel protectors over the heat exchanger (and might as well go all the way up). Guaranteed not to hit. Maybe use a pair of sliders all the way up the tunnel - added bonus of giving the heat shields more than enough coverage for studs.

Y.C.N. Update.

Due to the mounting location of the rear heat exchanger on the RX10M; The accessory rear rack [ SMA-8FA-30-RA-CK OR SMA-8FARR-RA-CK ] would have to be removed.

Still no word back from Toronto on our Warrior situation, As soon as I hear anything I will post it . ;)!

Well guys after being nothing short of a R.P.I.T.A. to Yamaha [Toronto] for a week I wish I had better news. Seems like that old political politics game is going to be played here and I'm not pleased on how they are handling this problem.

The end result is "Yes Yamaha is going to ADD the rear exchanger". They will be using the upgraded MT. RX's rear exchanger, Yamaha will offer this rear exchanger for $119.00 CDN. ........BUT!

This will only be offered to those who show up at their local dealership and complain about a heating problem. Yamaha has no intention of contacting those who bought a warrior [ like myself ] and telling them anything. Further more this will not even be offered under warranty, so you can mount it yourself or have your dealership do it for you;for $. Needless to say I for one feel like Yamaha has dropped the ball here, offer is only good to those that know about it. :mad:

"Funny how when the Warrior first came out how it was presented as the "ULTIMATE TRAIL SLED". No one from Yamaha ever said then anything about it having any limitations at that time. :mad:

So any one without studs will have no trouble mounting it, those that have studs will have to do some modifying to get it in. I guess on one side of the coin getting something from Yamaha to help solve this problem is still better than nothing at all. I checked Y.C.N. and these units are on back order and won't be available in Canada till late summer or fall, but could be earlier in the U.S.A.. Sorry I couldn't have had better news than this crap.

Thanks Bountyhunter.

I gather you are a Service manager and also a tech at a Canadian Yamaha dealership from your profile and posts. We appreciate the time you are spending on this.

What do you mean by
" those that have studs will have to do some modifying to get it in. "

Will those of us with studs also have to lower the skid at the rear like LB suggests, add protection or both?

Could you expand on the mods needed to install it?

"Yes Yamaha is going to change the rear exchanger".
Are you are referring to something other than the Warrior here as a Warrior does not have a rear exchanger. Or did you mean to say that the Warrior is getting a rear exchanger for 05?

They will be using the upgraded MT. RX's rear exchanger,
Is this upgraded Mountain exchanger different than the mountain exchangers currently offered? What is the Kit #.

It would be nice if Yamaha had paid for everything. However in fairness to them, Few seem to be having the problem, those that are I am sure are in touch with the dealer, and we did buy a first year sled. For the most part there are next to no complaints about this sled, so $120. Cdn is small price to pay IMHO to make a first year sled pretty much perfect ,if you have the problem.

I agree with you regarding it not being sold as a trail sled though. Bullshipp

Sorry about all the questions but I want to be real clear before taking my sled in .

My service manager is a great guy but freely admits to not knowing much with regard to sleds.

TIA,

Dave

Rear Heat Exchanger Kit

Just checked with my dealer and found out that cost on the kit is $85.00.

Riceburner said:
Will those of us with studs also have to lower the skid at the rear like LB suggests, add protection or both?

The whole point is to add the protection that is necessary to prevent a ballooning track from letting its studs hit the exchanger. Problem is that when you add enough protection to stop the studs from hitting, you decrease the designed clearance, so you need to bring the clearance back by lowering the skid.

Could you expand on the mods needed to install it?

You gotta hacksaw out the existing tunnel protectors until they're shorty length, plug in the heat exchanger as per included instructions, fabricate and/or buy and install longer drop brackets - make certain that the center to center distance between the front and drop mount holes is the same from the original brackets to the extended ones, no adjustment is necessary on the center mounts. Take some kind of 3/4 inch spacer that is long enough to go from somewhere near the front to the back of the tunnel extension, and rivet it to the existing tunnel protector, also find some way to affix it to the back of the tunnel.

Is this upgraded Mountain exchanger different than the mountain exchangers currently offered? What is the Kit #.

Read as "heat exchanger for upgrading mountain". There is one heat exchanger, no "upgraded" or version2.

RIDICULOUS, Totally, absolutely Ridiculous!!
Yamaha [Toronto ] " The Warrior was a sled that was intented to be used in deep snow conditions, but not Mt conditions. Riding the Warrior on groomed trails under poor snow conditions could cause a heating problem". Funny how when the Warrior first came out how it was presented as the "ULTIMATE TRAIL SLED". No one from Yamaha ever said then anything about it having any limitations at that time.

If that is the "official" line from Yamaha about the intended use for the Warrior, I have a friend who is a lawyer who says we all have a near 100% shot at a judgement for product misrepresentation.

I am at a total loss as to why Yamaha is suddenly doing a 180 on this whole thing. They have a design problem and for the amount of money I spent, I EXPECT to be made whole on this!!

Bountyhunter - Winter cold slap on the back Thanks for all your work on this!!

Just one other question: Are you as upset with the "answer" for this as the rest of us?

If this all is as you describe, Yamaha will be deserted by many loyal owners and will soon be out of the snowmobile business due to grossly false misrepresentations in product advertising.

From the 2004 Sales Brochure:

"Groomed trails, rough trails, ditchlines and a foot of fresh powder all in a 200 mile loop? No Problem."

I'm with you VT, Yamaha better step up to the plate and take care of their customers if they wish to continue having customers!

Riceburner- Sorry as my brain was going faster than my fingers, Yamaha is going to 'ADD' the rear exchanger. I corrected my post TK's

An opitional rear exchanger for the MT RX1 has been developed for the 03 & 04 RX10MT models used in marginal snow conditions. P/N 8EP-RHECR-KT-00 this is the exchanger being used for the warrior.

Following L.B.'s suggestion is what you will need to do, Unfortunately not everyone has the means or the ability to do this job. All the more reason Yamaha should just fix it. Let your dealership know that you are displeased with this and tell him to pressure his service warranty rep, tell him to push it back at Yamaha.

No one knows for sure what the 05's will be offering for cooling in reguards to the rear heat exchanger problem. Once production runs we will all know what Yamaha Japan has done about this.

VT BluYamaha 54-My conversation with the Yamaha [Toronto] rep was a week on going with Emails & phone tag, which at one point did get pretty #$%&* heated. In all fairness to that #$%&* that was his own Official statement and not Yamaha's [Toronto or Japan] in which I edited that statement because of that.

:drink: OOPS! I wasn't done yet, hit submit instead of preview.

When Yamaha released the 03 RX1's they monitored it's every move, Anyone who had even so much as a hiccup go wrong with it they wanted to know about it. Any warranty claims on those sled's meant sending those parts back to Japan for inspection and the customer would be sent a questioner to fill out. How you drive, where you drive, how many miles did you have and a whole lot more questions. The birth of Yamaha's 4-strokes and their future was out there waiting to either sink or swim. The warrior was phase two and the new 05 line up is phase three. Normally Yamaha Japan test the crap out of something new and it's first year out is very respectful. By the second year they clean up all of the small problems, If they new about low or marginal snow conditions why didn't they deal with it at the 05 shows or letters to all 04 Warrior owners. Not keep it a secret or hide it from the people who purchase their product. Lets face it phase two had next to no problems at all, So just fix the rear exchanger issue and move on. On the other side of the coin I wonder just how many people had issues with their rear exchanger, and was all of that info forwarded to anyone.

To answer your last question VT, It's pretty simple Yamaha product flows through my veins and has since 1969!. I'm very proud to own and be around a company like Yamaha, But they make it hard to be proud when they say one thing then do something else hell yah I was pissed. I was brought up from the old school of making sure that value and service were priority #1. Today for what we pay for sleds, quads and bikes it's important to bring value added back to the table. ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)! ;)!

Bountyhunter,

Thanks for the reply. Between you , LB and a few of the others I think I now have everything I need to know.

I must be one of the chosen few as my dealer got authorization to install the rear exchanger on my sled about a month ago.

As I said on another thread, "Yamaha is replacing my melted boots, supplying the exchanger and paying the dealer for 1 hours time for the install. Any extra time for the install the dealer is picking up"

Not sure Yamaha knew dealer was going to pick up the extra time. I had offered to participate since the Warrior was a first year sled and this had not been an issue on the 03 RX1's. It also does not seem to be an issue with the bulk of the Warrior riders for some strange reason.Compared to my issues on the other brands first year sleds, this issue was pretty minor to me.

BTW this authorization from Y came after I took part in the 05 demo drive
in our area in late March. The regional sales rep was able to touch my
running boards and see my boots. I guess in this case a "touch" was worth a thousand words.

Seven Yamaha sleds purchased and a Grizzly since 98 probably did not hurt my case either.

Thanks for going to bat for us.

Dave

BOUNTYHUNTER - You are a great resource and I share your love and enthusiasm for the Yamaha product. I have found (since 1983) that Y is very sensitive to getting a bad reputation on ANY of their products and generally instructs their dealers to do whatever is necessary to resolve customer issues (within reason).

When the VMax looked like it would suffer many problems if released to the public, it was scratched rather than risk it. I had several hundred dollars of work done to rectify issues (some dealer caused, some manufacturing defects) with my '89 Exciter. Bottom line is that Yamaha seems to want to have happy customers rather than risk creating unhappy ones.

I am still hopeful that they will "do the right thing" for those of us that have had problems.

I am having considerable trouble understanding how some Warrior owners have apparently not had ANY overheating under similar conditions. As an engineer, I can only conclude that there are slight but significant variations in the cooling systems within the production runs(?).

Back