• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nightmare

This seems like much ado over nothing. I've found Yamahas to be screwed together more logically than any sled. That said, some disassembly's require a learning curve.

wolfie said:
This seems like much ado over nothing. I've found Yamahas to be screwed together more logically than any sled. That said, some disassembly's require a learning curve.

Yeah, good point. The Apex is a little different than is traditional for Yamaha.
This design was done this way to accomplish 2 things.
!. To save weight
2. so they could get rider forward.

The good thing is these 4 strokes are very reliable so you dont need to get to things like plugs hardly at all.
The hood and side panels are quite easy if you practice removing them.
Headlight pod and airbox are a little bit harder but certainly no big deal.
The lighter weight and rider forward are something you can enjoy every minute you ride them, small price to pay for the once every 2 years you need to get to the more hidden items :D

I had my air box off the same night I picked up the sled. Wanted to check the dealers work. Good thing I did to. The one tool that will help the most is a 4mm T handle ball end allen wrench. makes air box removal a snap. I thought is was very easy to get at the plugs and battery. I have to admit that it does take up some room to stack all the pannels and stuff. :D

Check the dealer's work?? They don't build them, they just set them up...
As for the spark plug thing-have you looked under the hood on a high performance sports car or superbike lately??
Forget about it, leave it alone and ride! My '03, 04 and '05 NEVER FOULED A PLUG. Welcome to Yamaha

With fuel injection, the earlier 03 spark plug problems should be history. For example ask those that have fuel injected bikes how often they need to change their plugs.

Remember the Toyota minivan's of the late 1980's? You had to remove the driver's seat to get to the spark plugs.

It might be Japanese engineering. Build a bullet proof product first; worry about how to get to "once a year" areas later.

Took mine apart today to hook up communicator power and heated shield. No big stink here. I would not want to do it on the trail. But then again I have never had to work on one of my Yamaha's on the trail.

Back