• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

no reverse.

I do also have this issue, that i haveto stop the sled and go from stop directly to start for it to be able to reverse, i guess this is a "safty feature" for the ecu to ignore some sensordata.
Anyhow, the diagnostic mode shows ok results for tps, but have not ohm'ed it.
Must say it works sometimes, and sometimes it stops working after some rideing.
Anyhow, i dont use the reverse much, so it's not a "big deal" though its anoying and i will read up on this thread if someone comes with good info :)

In a way, it's too bad I don't have this problem with either of my sleds because I'm good at diagnosing electrical stuff like this. All I can think of, other than checking the idle speed and TPS, is the forward and reverse sensor switches in the gear case. For the reverse to engage, the PCM has to get ground from the forward switch telling it that the forward gear is engaged.

Another thing you might need to do is check the reverse gear case itself. My Phazer had an unusual issue. When I pushed the button, it would flash the light and the gear was engaged but the reverse sensor switch did not register. Replaced the switch, same thing. After looking in the case with a boroscope, saw that the gear wasn't contacting the switch even when I moved the gear completely by hand. Long story less long, the input shaft bearing moved into the case, preventing the gear from contacting the switch (and eventually prevented forward from engaging). Replaced the gear case, problem solved but I could have repaired the original.

It was quite painfull but i fixed the problem. five easy steps for repair: (1)Load phazer into truck. (2) go back into house and grab some lube. (3) drive to dealer. (4) trade off unit, when doing so remember step 2 to reduce the pain. (5) drive home with new sled.

:o| Sorry.Wish we all could have solved your problem but at least you have a sense of humor left!Dang electric shift reverse is a bad idea and I suspect Arctic Cat is finding that out the hard way also.What sled did you buy?

I just had the same issue. Everything checked out good, including the TPS. I was still convinced it was the TPS though, so I purchased a used TPS off Ebay. The new TPS checked the same resistance as my old TPS, so I was bummed at first. However, I just installed it the other day and my reverse works every time now! Electronics are always a PITA.

As good as the electronics can be to make things simpler, they can make them more difficult to fix.

Back