• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

no reverse.

penguinn

Long story short, went to move sled out of trailer,would not start, found burned yellow ground connector. Installed updated ground connector.Engine now starts fine. Wait about a month and go to back beloved Phazer out of trailer, reverse will not engage, no flashy light, no nothing. Tear sled apart, check reverse relays- both working normally. Check reverse motor, working normally. Check for ground signal from gauge pod to engine ecu, working normally, grounds out when button pushed. Check for continuity from engine ecu to relays-ok. Use jumper wires to relays- reverse works every time. It seems that the signal is getting to the ecu but it is not sending out a signal to the relays. Here's the kicker. Turn key form off to start without pause and reverse will work every time. I checked the TPS and got 0.64 volts at idle, i believe it's in spec.I also tried turning the idle down to as low as it would go without stalling to reduce TPS voltage further, no change. So before i go and trade this "beloved" phazer , does anyone have any more ideas? sorry for the long post.

You seem to have done the testing as per
Marpoldofer's post

One thing that comes to mind, how's the battery and stator? If the voltage is too low or if there is high load (like when the fan is running), ECU may not send the command to the relay to activate the servo motor. I have seen this happen when the fan is running, it will not engage and no light at all but as soon as the fan is off, no problem. Another is did you check the engagement switches in the reverse gear box? The ECU may not be getting the signal that it is in forward gear.

Threads from the FAQ:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=52072
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=54710

I do remember this thread with the exact same problem. Maybe PM the OP as he didn't post a resolution.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... t&start=15

Thx for the advise mooseman, the battery is good, even left the charger on overnight. stator is putting out 14.1 or 2 volts. Also found that when it is hot sometimes the fan relay is kicking in and out several times a second. And found that when it is cold if i go from off to start without pausing, it idles low, if i stop in key on before starting, it idles at normal warm up speed. Noticed if i can't get response from the reverse button, if i unplug the tps, then plug it back reverse works normally. I'm starting to think its an ecm problem. So a couple hundred bucks for a used ecm, 150 for ball joints, needs a couple tie rod ends, it may be time to move it along.

Just wondering, what if it's an issue with the TPS? Maybe the ECU thinks the throttle is open and won't allow reverse to protect the gear box? The TPS max resistance should be between 4-6 K-ohm on the blue and blue/black wires. If that checks out, it could just need to be adjusted. The repair manual explains how to adjust it.

To me, an ECU either works or it doesn't at all. It all works on logic. If a+b=c then turn on d. Something in the equation is missing to make the ECU activate the reverse signal. The hard part is finding which part of the equation is missing and only Yamaha has all the equations programmed into these things.

penguinn said:
Long story short, went to move sled out of trailer,would not start, found burned yellow ground connector. Installed updated ground connector.Engine now starts fine. Wait about a month and go to back beloved Phazer out of trailer, reverse will not engage, no flashy light, no nothing. Tear sled apart, check reverse relays- both working normally. Check reverse motor, working normally. Check for ground signal from gauge pod to engine ecu, working normally, grounds out when button pushed. Check for continuity from engine ecu to relays-ok. Use jumper wires to relays- reverse works every time. It seems that the signal is getting to the ecu but it is not sending out a signal to the relays. Here's the kicker. Turn key form off to start without pause and reverse will work every time. I checked the TPS and got 0.64 volts at idle, i believe it's in spec.I also tried turning the idle down to as low as it would go without stalling to reduce TPS voltage further, no change. So before i go and trade this "beloved" phazer on a 600 ace, does anyone have any more ideas? sorry for the long post.

penguinn...I am having a very similar issue. If I turn the key from the OFF to START position without pausing in the middle, the reverse works perfect!? Has anyone confirmed that the TPS is the root cause for this issue? It seems logical that there is just a weird electrical glitch somewhere due to the fact that simply not pausing with the key in the middle position will fix the issue. Any input is appreciated!

Not sure if it's something to do with the tps, i used the diagnostic mode and it was at 14-15% or counts not sure what its measuring, service manual states this is normal from what i can remember. Signal output voltage was 0.6 or so, can't remember but i stated in my original post, was right in spec.I did loosen off the tps and adjust it down a little at a time, there was no change in reverse operation. So long story short i put the SOB back together and put a for sale sign on it. Now all i need is to get it the hell out of here so i can replace it with a nytro . It officially beet me down.javascript:emoticon(':o|')

Not to be a vulture but, where are you located? You could post it in the 7 day classifieds here if you're really intent on selling it. Seems a shame though since you seem to like your Phazer to be licked by this one problem.

Mooseman said:
Not to be a vulture but, where are you located? You could post it in the 7 day classifieds here if you're really intent on selling it. Seems a shame though since you seem to like your Phazer to be licked by this one problem.

Speaking of the 7 Day Classifieds, whats with it?
Why is there that and the other classified?
Is it just to keep track or recently posted stuff or something els?
I just noticed free on it and thought they wanted something on the others now.

marpolsdofer said:
Mooseman said:

Speaking of the 7 Day Classifieds, whats with it?
Why is there that and the other classified?
Is it just to keep track or recently posted stuff or something els?
I just noticed free on it and thought they wanted something on the others now.

Its for non VIP members to be able to post in the classifieds. It gets booted out after 7 days and you can not reply to the add. The regular section can have replys and does not get deleted untill the item(s) are sold.

So now what you have to be a VIP Member to post there?
I still have lots of parts for sale and taking pics and putting them up every 7 days would be a pain and take forever to upload.

What are your rpm's while trying to shift?

I know if its cold out, on a cold start, mine idles a little higher. Just enough to go over a threshold that prevents reverse/foreword shifting regardless of no throttle input. After a little bit, the idles settles down and all is good.
IIRC the threshold is around is around 2400rpm.

greenthumb said:
What are your rpm's while trying to shift?

I know if its cold out, on a cold start, mine idles a little higher. Just enough to go over a threshold that prevents reverse/foreword shifting regardless of no throttle input. After a little bit, the idles settles down and all is good.
IIRC the threshold is around is around 2400rpm.

This is true, ideal RPM's is 1750-1850 is I remember the manual correctly.

marpolsdofer said:
So now what you have to be a VIP Member to post there?
I still have lots of parts for sale and taking pics and putting them up every 7 days would be a pain and take forever to upload.

This has been discussed elsewhere, but this is not new to the board. It has been in place for some time now.

VIP membership is not expensive, even if you only did it for one year. Look at it as a way to support the forums that are helping you not only here, but also helping you sell your stuff.

Some time now?
I posted last year and it was not imposed then.

Last time I did it, I did not sell one thing.
Really dont want to scrap the stuff as this could save some one half the price of the part.
However, with not selling them scraping make some thing.
I am still trying to make up for that huge lose had to take from my car and my sled.

It was fairly recent for the new 7 day classifieds. The classified rule for VIP members was sometime late last year I think. Post up what you got available. Maybe it was just at a bad time? Or the title didn't reflect what you really had.

OK, enough with this thread hijack :tg:

Back