• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Noise level while riding(HATE IT!)

nate007 said:
it just looks like it didn't have a whole lot of thought in the asthetics of the replacement side covers. Nate

I agree on the design of the side covers. Excell could have designed them to better match the rest of the panels.

I have only ridden one Apex, and I too thought it was loud compared to my RX-1. However, the noise I heard was engine noise coming from under the hood. Those noises were much more apparent on the Apex than on my RX-1.

I bought an Attak after owning a Rage and have to admit that I like the handling of the Attak over the Rage but can't stand the exhaust resonance. I have to wear earplugs with the Attak but it isn't absolutely necessary with the Rage.

nb-viper said:
monsonme said:
Does anyone else hate the way the exhaust sounds while riding? After riding all day it seems to just rattle inside my helmet....Is there any way to change the sound?

I'm with you man.. I've decided to sell my sled in fall. I find it way too loud.. my ears ring like crazy.. give me headaches and stuff. its that deep low tone. I'm already hearing impaired.. So I got to think long term... anyone know if the new Nytro is any queter? I demo'd Vector a while back.. I didn't find it to be as loud as the Apex.

exhaust noise

same prob here, tried ear plugs and worked good if I remembered them, changed track twice, same noise, tried diff flyweights (clutch arms) so sled would rev about 5500rpm at 20 mph and had same noise as stock weights at 5500 rpm at 35-40 mph.
think its the harmonics threw exhaust at the motor.
was thinking of trying a header wrap but think it would get wet and maybe fall off?
know its not track noise like on the 05 vectors, its exhaust
I too am getting up in age and hearing not that good so I have to take care of what I got sooo I went back to 600 sdi 08 skidoo, had a 05 and compaired to my apex all you hear is the wind blowing by but will miss the torque of the motor!!!!!!!!
would like to hear if someone comes up with a cheap fix!!
ckm

Yeah, real quiet when they sieze up.
If you don't like the noise, look at the Nytro, or a Vector, which is now in the Deltabox Chassis. Don't sacrifice quality for a few decibles. I think for as many comments as there have been about noise, I would hope somebody could come up with a pipe setup that has a silencer in the single pipe. That would really be the ticket to make alot of guys happy.

YOu guys don't know noise unless you ride a turbo with a twitchy thumb. So I use I-POD + cut in speakers into helmet=30 gigs of Tunes. I can ride all winter and not hear the same song.

If you get a chance to ride a Apex with an Excell do it. You will see that those cruising speed harmonics are eliminated. I love my Excell and I get tons of compliments on the tone of the exhaust and not just from Yammi riders. I get people walking up to me when I stop at an intersection on the trails to tell me how sweet my sled sounds.

SHG, You're not putting on enough miles if you don't hear at least one song twice. LOL.

30 gigs is a ton....maybe Hondo would catch a song or two twice.

YS

sledheadgeorge said:
YOu guys don't know noise unless you ride a turbo with a twitchy thumb. So I use I-POD + cut in speakers into helmet=30 gigs of Tunes. I can ride all winter and not hear the same song.

I rode an RX-1 turbo.... sounds like some evil demon lurks within.... freaking loud.

monsonme said:
nb-viper said:
monsonme said:
Does anyone else hate the way the exhaust sounds while riding? After riding all day it seems to just rattle inside my helmet....Is there any way to change the sound?

I'm with you man.. I've decided to sell my sled in fall. I find it way too loud.. my ears ring like crazy.. give me headaches and stuff. its that deep low tone. I'm already hearing impaired.. So I got to think long term... anyone know if the new Nytro is any queter? I demo'd Vector a while back.. I didn't find it to be as loud as the Apex.

If you guys think a APEX is too loud you should find another sport !

MEOW MEOW !

Most of my rides are all day 200-300 miles. Always wear earplugs. The best I have found are the silicone swimmers plugs you buy at the drug store. They seal out all sounds and you can't even feel them because they don't go inside your ear.

Sound fatigue is a much larger factor than people realize.

That said, count me in for a quieter exhaust if someone comes up with one!

I agree that if the noise is too much you should wait until Toyota builds a sled! The sound of the sled was the first thing that appealedto me, and even an all day ride doesn't bother me, but that's just my opinion. I could see an aftermarket exhaust being too loud for some, but I love mine.
Hey, how about this for thought. If you guys are cruising right at that speed where you get the resonance, why not just go a little faster to get rid of it. Even with Bender pipes, as soon as I get going past that sensitive speed, it's really quite quiet! Even 45-50 mph gets rid of the noise.
Maybe you're just cruising too slow!

Back