• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Bent Front End this one has hit nothing WITH PICTURES

lol Nikolai It must be those floats up front of that MTX! j/k Oh and SWEET pics! Knowing how you like to air it out I honestly wondered how your sled was going to hold up and with over 1100 miles of actual "HARD" riding glad to hear it's holding up pretty darn good! Most if not all other MTX will NOT see the planned air your sled has gotten!

I ride hard too and mine weren't damaged, but I hadn't hit anything either.

Some need to go look in the show room the sleds I saw the shocks are NOT perfectly centered between the A-arms. Each is slightly more towards the rear (less space between the a-arm and behind the shock than the a-arm and infront of the shock)

Man Nikolai awesome pics... Some day I want to be able to regularly ride terrain like that, you truly are blessed. I've been out west riding once and couldn't get enough.

Nice pics Nikolai, man that looks like fun...

Now back to the issue- I don't think riding hard has anything to do with it. I have pounded the hell out of mine in the ditches and jumping, everything was still nice and centered on both sides.

I think this issue pops up when a carbide catches an edge- like a trailer loading ramp or the edge of a tar road. This puts way more force directly back on the bottom of the spindle and pushes the upper a-arm forward, bending the subframe...

Loading a sled on a trailer or crossing a road is normal use for most people... These sleds come from the factory with carbides, there is no way to avoid one catching one once and a while. It is something you should not even have to begin to worry about...

If Yamaha does not come up with a solution I will reinforce my own...

OK

Let's trouble shoot, shall we?

Anyone change carbides BUT stock skis AND bent the front frame?

I have many miles on slydog w/ 9" carbides no bending.... Oh and I have hit something with the lower A-arm (4" frozen sawed off stump under the snow) I have a pic of the dent in the a-arm....

I too think it's the ski catching something and leveage of the spindle and lower a-arm tweaking the upper a-arm and or front frame...

I helped diagonse a bend last night on an MTX.

I immediatly looked at the top a arm mounts but anything I measured them off was matched on both sides.

Then I got into it and found stress marks on the bottom tabs that the bottom a-arms mount to.

I had this this rock on the trail. The MTX was behind me. He saw me hit it front on and tried to get around it when he should have gone over it. Football sized rock under 1 foot of powder. Just over the crest of a very steep, blind busy hill. We were going 30 kph AT most. No ski damage, he did not get tossed. Just the wear bar and carbide hit the rock best I can tell.

Spindle bent AND twisted. Dent in lower arm from shock hitting it, bends and stress marks on lower a arm mounts. Bottom of spindle on one side 3 cm behind the other.

He wanted to start bending stuff back but with so many things bent, it is hard to know which one to get bending.

I watch the hit. I had hit it with the center of my track and immediately turned around to signal him but he was too close and caught it. But there is no way it was hard enough to cause this. I have hit stuff 5 times as big 10 times as hard on other sleds with no damage.

It think the tabs that the a-arms mount to are too small and not braced. That could probably be a non issue however if there was some resistance to rotation of the a-arms relative to each other. When you apply force parallel to the ground to the bottom of the spindle or ski, I can't see what is supposed to keep the a-arms from wanting to rotate around each other.

Everyone laughed at the new AC suspension geometry on the race sled but I think they might be onto something.

I agree, the mount tabs on the subframe are pretty light. I tried to get a good look at mine but with the plastic on it is hard to get a good view. When I get a chance I am going to pull all the plastic off and check things out.

My shocks are also sitting slightly more towards the rear of the top a-arm. I hit several drifts this past week that almost sent me over the bars. Some of the drifts were hit at angles. So far, nothing is bent as far as I can tell. I'm going to install custom made oil-lite bushings which will really tighten up the play in the front end. Right now, after 750 miles, my front end is a junk show. All the bushings and ball joints are loose. Funny thing is the steering still feels tight. Weird.

Look at it this way....you now have polaris technology on your sled. That being the unequal axis front suspension geometry. It will handle the corners and bumps much better!
I hit the snow so hard this year I don't know how I held on to my machine and I have no bent parts. The one thing I noticed from the guy who took the pics of his measurements is that the angle of the spindles going to the ground looks to be way different, which would account for the different measurements. It could be just me, but have an other look at those pictures.

At any rate if it is a factory defect Yamaha will fix it and until then ride it like you stole it!

My dealer has had no nytros other than my friends with a bent front and he hit a small bush or tree. I need to change oil and when I am doing that I am going to figure out a way to make the front stronger. I will probably trade it anyway after this year.

Rioplay said:
The one thing I noticed from the guy who took the pics of his measurements is that the angle of the spindles going to the ground looks to be way different, which would account for the different measurements. It could be just me, but have an other look at those pictures.

That is kind of what we are complaining about. Initially that angle was the same. Now something is bent, in a lot of cases with no hits. This is a sign of weakness.

Rioplay said:
At any rate if it is a factory defect Yamaha will fix it and until then ride it like you stole it!

We are all hoping so.

Yea i have called about 3 dealers in my area not one has heard of this problem.

Skydog

bagadonitz said:
Rioplay said:
The one thing I noticed from the guy who took the pics of his measurements is that the angle of the spindles going to the ground looks to be way different, which would account for the different measurements. It could be just me, but have an other look at those pictures.

That is kind of what we are complaining about. Initially that angle was the same. Now something is bent, in a lot of cases with no hits. This is a sign of weakness.

Exactly ! Both spindles should measure up the same distance to the level IF both spindles are at the same angle. The reason TJ's spindles show different angles is because the subframe IS tweaked, therefore, one spindle stands more straight up and down (bent side) while the other remains in the stock position, or you could have both spindles in a more upward position and have both sides of the subframe tweaked, THAT is really hard to notice ! :o|

I talked to the Yammi Reps at Cedar Pines last week and of corse they have heard nothing about this problem. They also said not to stud but we all know thats just a bunch of B.S. **edit by Crewchief47: Perhaps those reps are required to say those things due to legal issues???**

Back