• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Handwarmer, HELP!

Hey guys, wondering if any of you have had the same problem I have.

A few weeks ago I replaced my left hand warmer (element and grip) and installed yamaheaters. In the garage both hand warmers would heat up fine at idle.

Today I went out riding to test it out and after about 5-10 mins of driving I think the new element burnt out again. I went back and tested for power and I have power all the way to where the wire goes into the grip but no heat.

Wondering if I just got a bad element or if I have other problems.

Thanks guys.

Contact this guy: Rockmeister on here, he is the maker of the yamaheater, he is a great guy. He will answer any questions/problems.

I dont think its the yamaheater though. One of my suspicions about what happened is that when I went out riding that when I turned it may have stretched the cable and broke something.

If you have an ohm meter handy, measure the resistance on the two wire that go to the element. Not sure on the Nytro spec but it could read around 3.5k ohms. If ypu get 0 or no reading then the element is shot.

Handlebar heater elements are nearly impossible to burn out, but as you mentioned, its not impossible you stretched a cable too much and broke it. Ohm meter will tell you the entire story.

Also, if you had any 'kinks' in the element when you stuck it on, it creates a hot spot and shortens the life. I had to do mine a second time when I fudged up the first install.

Crewchief, I may have had a kink as you mentioned. I will know more once I take the grip off. But I do remember questioning the "slight folds" on the element when I put it on.

So to brainstorm some ideas, what else could it be besides a burnt out element?

BTW, I have 2 new elements and grips ordered.

TRiGGeR605 said:
I dont think its the yamaheater though. One of my suspicions about what happened is that when I went out riding that when I turned it may have stretched the cable and broke something.

What I meant was he can help you out. He would know the ohm spec on the element, ect. He is a great guy.

My two cents, ohm both elements, see if there is a difference between the two readings.

I contacted Rockmiester and he suggested it might be a fold in the element. Here's his message back to me...

Hi Dude!

You are ALWAYS welcome to call me, will help you get going.
Usually what happens with the elements is that they have a weak point caused by a "fold" or "kink" in the element from installation.
The weak point doesnt usually show up until you put real power to the grips, then it finally fails.

The key is to make sure the heating element has no folds or kinks during install.
Best bet is take 20 minutes or so and MAKE SURE you know exactly where the element needs to go to minimize defects, BEFORE you attach anything.
This means finding the best fit left to right and front to back on the bar.

Basically you are putting a flat heater element on a curved bar, so not always easy to get the kinks out, but it can be minimized.

The yamaha yellow grip glue helps with this because it will help fill in around the not so perfect spots & help releive stress on the element.

Hope this helps, & again, you are always welcome to call me.
Rock : )

I am waiting on my new heating element to get shipped then I will let you guys know how it turns out.

I have also just done left grip and element and it worked for about 100 kms and now it is not working!!! At -41degree c out to cold to look at it yet :rocks:

Hi Guys!

When it is this cold out, generally you will push the elements to their max.
If it is going to fail, it will tend to do it now.

If you have to replace the elements, would suggest the Yamaha update elements.
They are made by RSI & are pretty tough.
(Elements must match, either stock or RSI, but not both)

No matter who makes them, you are still putting a flat element on a round bar.
It is tough to keep the kinks to a minimum. yet doable with a bit of luck.
Any kink will create a weak point that eventually fails.

As I mentioned to Trigger above, spend quite a bit of time minimizing the kinks.

Will try to get some time to do a element install thread.

Any guys that have to replace theirs, can you take some pics & send them to me of your install along the way?

Rock :-o

PS I will always help guys out troubleshooting this stuff, even if you don't have a YamaHeater. Simply have a meter handy & I will walk you through what to do right on the phone. :Rockon:

My right element burnt out on my 09. I looked up the part numbers, phoned the new yammie partsman, old boy retired :o| went to pick them and new grips up 3 days later. He ordered me 2 right hand elements. He says their fiche show 2 of those. WTF so I went to see the 20+ year yammie mechanic and asked him. He agreed both the same. wtf? Anyone agree this is standard? or even ok? Or will it be tough to get a right one on the left side? The leads wont be coming out of the grips on at the same spot on each one, looks like. Also I am thinking of just changing the right one for now and leave the left one till it burns out. Anyone have a reason not to do this?

As long as both sides are stock grips, you can change just the right one, many people do.
You know the left one works, would leave it alone. :Rockon:

Rock :-o

Hey guys,

I installed my left hand warmer for the second time a few days ago. This time I took my time making sure there were no kinks in the element as I applied it to the bar. Once I finished that I wrapped the element tightly with electrial tape to prevent it from kinking as I put on the grip. After that I lubed it up good with a full tube and a half of grip glue and smeared that all around the bar. Finally, I took a hair dryer to the grip to make it more workable and applied the grip. Installed the rivets and I was good to go.

I have put over a hundred miles on so far and no issues. Plus those yamaheaters work great!

Back