• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro in the Trees

big_red1a said:
low skinz seat
I am seriously interested in this as well. The only negative thing about the current Skinz seat would be that it is an inch or two too high when jumping from side to side. A slightly lower version would be better for this and a really low version as well as I am never ever sitting down.

I noticed a bit of a difference in the pictures of the two sleds. In one, the tie rod appears to be straight. In the other, the tie rod has a pronounced bend forward. What's the story there? Will the kit include new tie rods as well?

Attachments

• spyphotodeux.jpg
    spyphotodeux.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 93
big_red1a said:
towerrigger I have 12.5" on mine[/quote] Ha Ha thought youy were not going out there????? Just had to look at her one more time before you drift of into turboland!! ZZZZZZZZZZZ sweet dreams![/quote] My wife kicked me out there said:
I noticed a bit of a difference in the pictures of the two sleds. In one, the tie rod appears to be straight. In the other, the tie rod has a pronounced bend forward. What's the story there? Will the kit include new tie rods as well?

Nikolai has a different set up for his steering stem. The stem is set back closer to the engine. The stock sled shouldn't need to bend the steering rods.

Although my steering setup is quite different, my tie rods mount in the same location as stock. The bent tie rods are an updated part and are necessary for all Nytros. Nobody should take the pics too seriously as I know they're continuously making changes.

Nikolai, now that you have yours mounted up, do you think that the 17 1/2" shock would work?

No, the upper ball joints max out. From what I was told, the kit I have was designed around 16.5" shocks because they wanted to test a steeper shock angle. I could probably make 17.5 shocks work with high misalignment ball joints and spacers. Sounded like finished kits would use 17.5" shocks but mtdream would probably know for sure. Basically, the shock mount on the lower a-arm moves outward with a longer shock.

A couple more pics
IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

With the 17.5" shocks I had my Cat skid dropped out of the tunnel about as far as I could go and even with the limiters all the way out the front of the rails barely had any pressure on the ground. This caused my rear Float shock to work harder since it wasn't using the track shock as much. I noticed with the lower front end my steering effort decreased and the rear skid seems to work better. It compresses smoother and rebounds faster. Time will tell and I'm sure I'll have to spend a couple days adjusting the skid and steering.

nice to see you use stock spindles but as soon as you mention you need shocks it just went from affordable to expensive or is this going to be a complete kit.mine has the crappy 08 front shocks which you can't use from what i read. if it works the way everybody said it does well worth the money $$. i would do anything to make mine handle better thanks to everybody that spent time & money on this product keep up the good work

noodlesnoodles said:

There was a slight interference with the tie-rod and the a-arm when the handlebars were fully turned on the first prototypes. One possible solution was the dog-leg in the tie-rod and that is why Nikolai is testing these.

When's the first test flight Nikolai?

40" with the skis centered.

Scott, we're headed up to ArcticMan next week so we'll be riding Tuesday - Saturday. I'm going to try and get out this Saturday as well.

IMG_1949.jpg

So Nikolai I am curious about you rear skid. I just got my cat skid install finished. I started my rear shock at about 130. I just took a test drive around the yard but it seemed pretty stiff. Are you still having trouble with the rear skid feeling too soft even with the shock maxed out? I am wondering if I mounted the rear too high and it isn't going to feel right. I am about 215 so I don't think it's me weighing less. I should be out on the snow tomorrow so I'll see how it does. I am curious to see if this has any effect on turning and sidehilling and so forth.

Nikolai, now that you have yours mounted up, do you think that the 17 1/2" shock would work?

No, the upper ball joints max out. From what I was told, the kit I have was designed around 16.5" shocks because they wanted to test a steeper shock angle. I could probably make 17.5 shocks work with high misalignment ball joints and spacers. Sounded like finished kits would use 17.5" shocks but mtdream would probably know for sure. Basically, the shock mount on the lower a-arm moves outward with a longer shock.

A couple more pics

IMG_1950.jpg

Yeah, it makes sense to try it. By moving the lower mounting inward, the forces applied at the ski will have greater leverage on the shock. Which in-turn allows you to run a little higher air pressure.
With the 17 1/2" shocks in the 39" TS front end I run, 65psi seems to be the happy medium. 60 psi actually works better for side hilling, however the sled "wallows" pretty bad on the trail at those pressures. It would be nice to be able to bring the air pressures back towards the mid-point of the usable range of the shock without it raising the ride height and reducing side hilling control.

I think if a guy can run a slightly lower ride height, it would allow the rider to run a fairly soft set-up for easy side-hilling and have a more stable ride/handing when your the second sled back in a trenched out trail.

For reference attached is a pic of the 17 1/2" shocks on a 39" TS front end. Note the difference in the vertical angle of the shock.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    588.9 KB · Views: 84
hugger70mtnmax said:
So Nikolai I am curious about you rear skid. I just got my cat skid install finished. I started my rear shock at about 130. I just took a test drive around the yard but it seemed pretty stiff. Are you still having trouble with the rear skid feeling too soft even with the shock maxed out? I am wondering if I mounted the rear too high and it isn't going to feel right. I am about 215 so I don't think it's me weighing less. I should be out on the snow tomorrow so I'll see how it does. I am curious to see if this has any effect on turning and sidehilling and so forth.
The Yamaha accessory lightweight rear suspension kit looks pretty similar to a complete AC skid.
Maybe you can get a good starting point from someone using this kit...?
Jipettersen of this forum, for instance...?

The YAMAHA lightweigt kit Is made by bdx, which historically was primarily a Cat shop, I think they were he inventors of the Diamond Drive....which might be finding it's way onto yamaha's in the near future...

Back