• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro MPI 180 supercharger ? whats your readings

furg69

Expert
Finally have some seat time on my nytro with the super charger 180 kit. I have the high elevation kit which is 28/28 pulleys if I remember correctly. However I do have the MTX cooler installed and using gauges. Anyone else running this same pulley combo at sea level ? I did change my weights according to MPI to lower boost but still seeing 8950RPM. my temp reachs 90 degrees when trail riding and my air fuel gauge is showing 12.5-13.5

furg69,
I'm running the mountain kit on my XTX on premium pump gas. I'm riding between 3-6,000ft and currently seeing boost numbers at 6.5psi
Added quit a bit of weight to my clutch weights (Two solid steel Yamaha rivets and 1 MPI Steel) RPMS seem controlled now but having a hard time looking at the tach at full throttle :) Not hitting the rev limiter anymore though. Stock the boost was reading 5psi but have adjusted the waste gate to 6.5psi.
Very usable power that is totally addictive.

My readings say nothing because the damn SC is broken after only about 500 miles. ******* shaft broke half way through a trip and cost me hundreds! these MPI superchargers are junk! I guess there are plenty of stories just like mine out there. I hope you guys have better luck than we did. MPI isn't giving any indication that the unit will be replaced any time soon so its like I wasted $4000. the worst part is I saved than money for 4 years to get this and bam! It fails and cant get it replaced in a timely manner. I'm sorry to say that I'm not happy with MPI even though they say they are at the mercy of Rotrex. They should, as a responsible distributor, carry these units for these reasons.

Nothing right now as my ******* is broken after only 250 miles and no sign of seeing it back this year. Why didn't I get the turbo!!!!!

auto2665

What exactly is failing ? Is there something MPI is suggesting the rest of us should be doing to keep the failure from happening?

Who installed your kit?

Was it possibly a oil starvation issue?

Last edited:
Its the shaft that is failing...several posts on the site here in the turbo/sc forum. No suggestions from MPI at all but to sit tight and plan to ride stock this winter. The kit was installed by a dealer and can't imagine it was starved for oil. The oil level was ok and looked good. It seems like Rotrex released some of these units with a bad lot of shafts. Its the only thing I can think of because the supercharger didn't have issues in the past. After this bad experience I would definitely never purchase anything that used anything from Rotrex. I probably shouldn't' be so hard on MPI but they are the distributor and who Rotrex is telling me to point my finger at. And honestly, MPI is not doing a very good job of communicating at all. Its been over a month and nobody has told me anything. But let me get back to the original question. I have the same 28/28 setup. I installed the ECU remap and before the failure I was reading about 11.5 WOT with about 6-7 pounds of boost at 8900rpm at sea level.

It's not mpi's fault for any of our shafts breaking. I'm part of that club but I'm not on here bitching and bad mouthing a company would help if they could. There are replacment shafts you can buy for $225, and if you whiners would just search around you would know this. Yes they don't last as long but better than nothing. If this was mpi's sc we wouldn't be having these issues. Shafts failures usually occur from low oil and or beating on the sc trying to change pulleys. Just saying guys don't blame a company who's brought us an awesome kit and a separate company not standing behind their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand your "separate company" comment. From a customer perspective MPI should be fully liable. They are the ones who sourced the parts and the kit, thus they hold responsibility and liability for what they are selling. Sure they can play it off as being Rotrex's fault, but ultimately they made a deal with a company to sell THIER kits. And don't think I am bias...I don't own a turbo or supercharger. This is just business gossip.

You think GM would tell people that they did not make the air bags, thus they are not liable to their customers? lol

If you cant tell i'm just not a huge fan of people who instantly protect companies....you run a business, run it right. I have nothing against MPI, I am just sick of companies that don't back their product or pass it off like it wasn't their fault...which seems to be whats happening here?

Hmmmm,
Thought it was most likely starving for oil, going to add a bit more oil in the blower oil tank. This most likely is lack of oil or abuse as stated above, both easy fix's.

I agree with Beenba, MPI's kit is MPI's kit, they sourced the parts for it which appear to be high quality and well thought out but if failures start to happen then MPI needs to take resposibility for THIER actions and deal with their vendors themselves.

Not on here trying to protect the company what so ever. It's the people on here that have a failure and automatically blame the vender for its failure. Same people who do not contact the vender/company to ask what can be done. It's been well documented that rotrex's blower suck. When mine went i contacted Alex at mpi, him and Matt both did everything in their power to get mine going again. Not their fault

Sledguy,

Did MPI offer any suggestions for care of the blower or oil level to prolong life.
Do you know why yours failed?
Mine only has 200 miles so far.

Well little background on mine is, I bought it used with low miles. It was all in mpi's hands and was looked over by them an confirmed it was in great working order. Which is was not blaming them whatsoever. First question was how's your oil, i said full which is was. I do believe the priming pArt of the oil system on the kit is the problem an was discussed. I believe the oil being starved for the few seconds in the initial start is causing premature failure. I had about 20 miles or so on mine, spent 5 days countless hrs doing the install, missing parts for the previous owner which mpi was a huge relief getting me those parts to get going. I believe the oil viscosity is the major part in the failures happening. And for now I'm back to normal set up that I know works. Just waiting on new 19t gear to help with the new track

Sledguy,

Thanks for all the info,

I'm Thinking of adding a nice over flow tank and running my oil a tad higher

Back