• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro MPI 180 Turbo at sea level

fast4fun

I am running an MPI 180 between sea level and 1600 feet. Just installed it and it seams to be running extremely rich and idles around 1100 rpm. What is the cure for this? Has. GEMS controller but can’t get the idle up any. Thanks

If it were me...
I would contact a vendor like Ulmer or Hurricane and get a PC5 with PTI, Auto Tune, and a Pod 300. You would never regret it.
I honestly don't know how I ever tuned sleds for the last 35+ years without these tools!
JM.02c

I would get in touch with MPI I'm sure they will get ya pointed in the right direction. I did here they had some problems with the gems controller, you may have to send it in to get the right tune programed back into it.

I would get in touch with MPI I'm sure they will get ya pointed in the right direction. I did here they had some problems with the gems controller, you may have to send it in to get the right tune programed back into it.
I spoke with MPI today and they told me they didn’t really have an answer. The turbo was designed to run in high altitude and he wasn’t sure what settings to use at sea level. Said to get an afr gauge and try to set it up starting with the super charger instructions on the website. Getting a gauge tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it in range so I can ride this weekend.

If it were me...
I would contact a vendor like Ulmer or Hurricane and get a PC5 with PTI, Auto Tune, and a Pod 300. You would never regret it.
I honestly don't know how I ever tuned sleds for the last 35+ years without these tools!
JM.02c
I was hoping to set it up with the GEMS controller that came with it. Getting an air fuel ratio gauge tomorrow. Going to mess around and see what I can come up with. My buddy has an MCExpress on his and he had to turn the air screws half a turn each to raise the idle. No mention of air screw adjustments in the MPI instructions tho. If I can’t get it I’ll have to try a different controller. I have a PC3 but I would thinks it’s kind of outdated for what I’m trying to do.

If you are considering going the PC5 route,[it is obviously not cheap] I would save my money on an AFR. A PC5 with Auto Tune and Pod 300 will give you an AFR readout as well as many other info settings. Ulmer or Hurricane should be able set you up with a base map that should be real close.

If you touch your air screws make sure you record your current settings so you can always go back.

Have you tried to adjust the gems controller if so where are you at with it right now. You definitely need an AFR gauge so you know where your at regardless. Just installed one of these kits on a friends machine we are at 1.5, 3.5, 3.5, and 3.5 on the controller. Sounds like you need to lean yours down on settings 1 & 2

If you are considering going the PC5 route,[it is obviously not cheap] I would save my money on an AFR. A PC5 with Auto Tune and Pod 300 will give you an AFR readout as well as many other info settings. Ulmer or Hurricane should be able set you up with a base map that should be real close.

If you touch your air screws make sure you record your current settings so you can always go back.
Going to try afr tonight as I have a loaner gauge. I will for sure record air screw settings if I end up adjusting them.

Have you tried to adjust the gems controller if so where are you at with it right now. You definitely need an AFR gauge so you know where your at regardless. Just installed one of these kits on a friends machine we are at 1.5, 3.5, 3.5, and 3.5 on the controller. Sounds like you need to lean yours down on settings 1 & 2
I have adjusted the gems but I think it still needs more. Trying the afr gauge tonight.

Bob are you Running a pcv pti with autotune if so did you install the can button?

Back