• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro MTX Opinions Without Yamahype

njc89

Hello, I know we all like Yamaha here, but I really need some unbiased opinions. I am trying to decide whether to trade in the old Viper Mtn. 144 for a Nytro MTX or possibly something else, like an M8 153. I like the 4 stroke features, but don't know if it is worth the weight gain. I really want to move up to the increased climbing ability that the longer tracks offer, and I also want to GREATLY improve maneuverabilty (boondocking and side-hilling) over the Viper. I have read various posts on the Nytro that concern me a little (track, hand warmers, weak front end, small fuel tank). Are there other significant reasons besides brand loyalty to go for the Nytro, that overshadow these potential issues? I can't afford a $9k problem child. Also, is anyone able to share any handling comparisons between the Nytro, Viper Mtn. and M series? Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

I don't think the Nytro is anywhere close to a problem child. The weak front end is a little concerning here but I have yet to see one in person and i have checked a few. the only weird situation i have seen is a guy who keeps blowing the shocks but he is the only one i have heard this happening to. I personally think the track sucks but that may be in the type of conditions we have in CO.

My best suggestions is go to the dealer you will be buying it from and tell them you want a demo.

I have about 1200 mountain miles on my 2008 FXNytro MTX. It is the greatest sled in my opinion. I have not experienced the bent front end, but I haven't been riding in hard snow conditions and I haven't hit anything. I did bend a phazer front end last season, but I hit something rather solid. The gas tank is sufficient for most mountain riding. I get 100 miles or so pretty reliable. A few less in really deep powder. Just add a jury can and you have more range. The track seems to work really well in certain conditions. Today there was a great base and about 2-3 feet of powder. The track worked great today. To each their own on opinions for this one. Hand warmers get so warm you can't ride with them, IF you are off trail boondocking and working the sled. If you are riding a trail at higher speeds and it is 18 BELOW zero, yeah they are cold. I put handguards from the short tracks on mine to help with wind protection. My hands stay warm unless I am going way fast and it is way cold.

I am not a high marker, but I like boon-docking and rather steep and deep powder riding. If you want to be a high marker buy an Apex and turbo it. If you want to have a great all around sled, but a FXNytro.

Here is how I look at it. I weigh 190 lbs. Put electric start on a RevXP, and stick the average fat guy I see riding those things on it at 250 lbs. and well............ my FXNytro MTX would be lighter all around. You know this weight issue, it looks great when they say it is so light, but it is minus electric start and fluids. Just my opinion.

I have been a yamaha guy since I started riding a phazer back in 1988. I have a 2002 Viper short track (usd to live in NH) and still own all the following Yamaha sleds:

1968 Yamaha SL350 Proto-Type
1969 Yamaha SL351 W/Factory Racer Set Up
1970 Yamaha SL338
1971 Yamaha SL292
1973 Yamaha SR433C Factory Racer
1976 Yamaha SRX 340
1990 Yamaha Phazer II
1992 Yamaha VMax-4
2002 Yamaha SXViper
2003 Yamaha RX-1
2007 Yamaha Phazer FX
2007 Yamaha Phazer Mtn Lite
2008 Yamaha FXNytro MTX

Can you tell I like snowmobiles. Have about 30 other antique and vintage snowmobiles from multiple brands.

Anyway, that wasn't really the question was it?

Thanks,
Steve Burdick

A buddy with the mtn viper was out with me (nytro mtx) and another buddy (800 xp 146 inch summit).

He didn't like the vibrations from the summit among other things. He liked the nytro way better and even commented that it doesn't feel heavy.

There are things that you need to do to a 2008 Nytro to make it work for you. Could be fuel or suspension issues or snow getting in the engine compartment or wet left foot issues.

I think it would be wrong to say that you will be happy long term with this sled right out of the box. I think it would be right to say that you won't be disappointed in the sled after you have addressed these issues.

This is my first Yamaha and I'm liking it alot. I like the ride and handling. I don't have an issue with the track. I've added a tour buddy and rack as well as a bunch of silicone and duct tape. I still haven't solved the problem of snow getting in the engine compartment yet, but will keep trying.

I'm betting Yamaha will have a bigger tank on the Nytro next year.

I have been an AC guy since I was 6 ('bout 30 years ago). My first sled was a '72 Panther. The only non-AC sled I ever owned before the Nytro was an '88 Phazer. I am biased - but towards AC. I love the Nytro. It is a joy to ride.

It does have some idiosyncrasies: Front shocks, subframe, weird handwarmer operation, etc., but I personally enjoy tinkering with this kind of stuff - and I have a sled that I can keep long enough to see the fruits of my labors.

My advice: Buy the sled, keep your expectations reasonable, and you will be pleasantly suprised - for years to come!

Vmax4 said:
I have about 1200 mountain miles on my 2008 FXNytro MTX. It is the greatest sled in my opinion. I have not experienced the bent front end, but I haven't been riding in hard snow conditions and I haven't hit anything. I did bend a phazer front end last season, but I hit something rather solid. The gas tank is sufficient for most mountain riding. I get 100 miles or so pretty reliable. A few less in really deep powder. Just add a jury can and you have more range.
Whats a few less than 100????? Rode 43 miles yesterday with a good friends Nytro MTX and it used 7 gal. He also only weighs 155lbs.

I am a yamaha guy always have been but I have ridden other models. I think if you have a good pair of boots the wet foot is no more an than any rev I have ridden. I rode a mountain max for many years and virtually handles like a viper. I loved it for the times and really could eat up the bumps for a mountain sled. I upgraded to a 05 vector mtn and I really loved that sled and I did not think the nytro would be that much better. Then I rode one The power the pull. The doo, cat do not compare unless you are riding a 1m. Cats have a lag in there fuel injection at least everyone I rode. I rode a 800m sled and I thought my vector pulled alot harder.

The hand warmers are fine on mine and I have no problems staying warm, The front shocks are fine. I think the rears should be better but I have it set up so it is satisfactory to ride. I agree I do not like the track but the have been using it on the apex for how long now??

the nytro is definately easier to handle then my Vector and I thought the vector was a great carver and side hilled great too.

I have rode the revs and I do not like them. I like the arctic cats.
What you will get with the Yamaha is reliabilty in the engine and fuel economy. I do not like the smallish fuel tank but I do not carry fuel and I have always come back to the trailer with same amount of fuel left as everyone else except for my Vector.

Ride it I think you will love it!!!!

The sled goes really well and its nice to ride but yamaha has to do their homework as far as cosmetics, first of all the plastic rivets are garbage , they break after being removed more then once. Also the plastic isn't flexible enough and it cracks way to easily. Something has to be done about the oil in the airbox issue. I dont care if its a mountain or not, NEED BETTER SHOCKS

Mileage depends so much on the following:

Snow Conditions
Gearing
Clutching
Weight of rider
Type of riding
Skis/carbides

I just know that on a typical outing with my MTX (set for 4,000 - 6,500 feet above sea level) that I can basically figure on running out around 100 miles. I pushed it one day of mostly trail riding to over 100 miles, but the light had been on and I put 6.7 or so gallons in it. Not sure if I would have made it another 10 miles or not.

If I am riding in the deep stuff all day and boondocking, yeah, you probably won't see 100 + miles.

BCB Racing,

I have had my rivets out twice. If you are gentle with them, they go in and out OK. I did buy about 20 extras just for when they do break, but I would like to think that if I take it easy on them, they should last several seasons of routine oil changes.

On the breaking plastics. Your not supposed to hit stuff or roll the thing. I bet if you bought a new BMW and rolled it or hit the car in front of you, you might find they will break also.

Oil in the air box. Yeah it would be nice, but oh well. Don't leave the thing sitting upside down for 30 minutes. There is a drain in there. It will work it's way out. Clean the element after times when you think you may have gotten some in there, and away you go.

Yeah the shocks aren't piggy back reservoir or fox floats, but they work well for off trail riding. If the trails are beat and never groomed, yeah, you might need to get some different front shocks, but they will not work as well for off trail riding.

I am not trying to defend yamaha, but lets face it, if you had a $50,000 sled, I bet the right person could still find something wrong with it.

FXNytromtx said:
Vmax4 said:
I have about 1200 mountain miles on my 2008 FXNytro MTX. It is the greatest sled in my opinion. I have not experienced the bent front end, but I haven't been riding in hard snow conditions and I haven't hit anything. I did bend a phazer front end last season, but I hit something rather solid. The gas tank is sufficient for most mountain riding. I get 100 miles or so pretty reliable. A few less in really deep powder. Just add a jury can and you have more range.
Whats a few less than 100????? Rode 43 miles yesterday with a good friends Nytro MTX and it used 7 gal. He also only weighs 155lbs.

What do you want. All the guys I ride with have doos or polaris and I go everywhere they go. when we fill up I always use less fuel. last ride was 47mi only one came within 2 gallons and i only used 4.9gal. It was mostly boondocking. I weight 195+

I absolutely love mine. My plastics seem to be plenty strong. I've had the rivets out at least 10 times with no issues. The sled has couple things that need to be changed(personal preference) but it's the most fun sled I've owned. 1,200 miles and no issues. My mileage averages 7.5-8 but for the riding I do I consider that pretty good compared to the 2-strokes I ride with. I'm usually wide open the entire day.

I really only have 4 complaints.

Why no pre-filter on the vents?
Needs a solution to oil leaking into the airbox
Handwarmers seem to be finicky
Yamaha should offer a better shock package

njc89 said:
Hello, I know we all like Yamaha here, but I really need some unbiased opinions. I am trying to decide whether to trade in the old Viper Mtn. 144 for a Nytro MTX or possibly something else, like an M8 153. I like the 4 stroke features, but don't know if it is worth the weight gain. I really want to move up to the increased climbing ability that the longer tracks offer, and I also want to GREATLY improve maneuverabilty (boondocking and side-hilling) over the Viper. I have read various posts on the Nytro that concern me a little (track, hand warmers, weak front end, small fuel tank). Are there other significant reasons besides brand loyalty to go for the Nytro, that overshadow these potential issues? I can't afford a $9k problem child. Also, is anyone able to share any handling comparisons between the Nytro, Viper Mtn. and M series? Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

If your looking to improve from a Viper you won't be dissipointed. I upgraded from an 05 mtn Viper that wasn't stock and the Nytro kicks its a$$. Not just with power but the ease of control. It does take some time to get used to because with the Viper to get it to lean I realy had to put everything I had to get it to lean side to side. The nytro carves easily to easily at first. This sled has made me look like a better rider than I really am. The nytro lifts the front end out of the snow better than the viper. My Nytro is stock and I have been going everwhere with my 800 doo buddies and I have electric start. Did I mention I allways get better milage than all my buddies other brands. Before with my viper I was allway bumming fuel now its the other way around.

Back