• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

octane advice

snodancer

Hi,
I have a 2010 Venture Lite, Gen 4X 80 hp engine. The fuel requirements are for 91 octane which I have and will adhere to and understand that the bore/stroke ratio requires just that. However, in some remote on trail fueling stations, only 87 or at best 89, is available.
My question is regarding Octane additives from venerable and trusted companies, as to if used, that they would "bridge the gap" sufficiently enough to prevent engine/piston damage.
Also, this sled is not "pounded" , or hung out to dry on a lake or prolonged stretches.
thx for your input from your first hand experience.
dave r

Torco Race fuel additive is the ONLY thing proven to work. It saved my supercharged sled running 87 octane and a bottle of this stuff. My sled is made to run 91 with the SC I was scared stiff I have a $4K engine relying on this stuff in emergencys and it worked perfect.

Accelerator-bottles.jpg

IMHO Torco is likely the best, but there are others. Have to disagree with Kinger that Torco is the only proven one

Otherwise my SC RX1 would have blown up when I ran 87 octane a couple of times.

I used NOS Octane Boost and like Kingers Torco, it worked perfectly.

There are some intersting comparisons you can find on the Web done by independants.

This post is reminding me why I don't take the next step and boost my Attak. I like to put on 200++ miles on easily in a day quite often and we get gas at some resorts where who knows what the heck is in those tanks. They all claim the gas is non-oxy 91 octane but who really knows.

I can see the Visa commercial now--

"New turbo or s/c: $4-5k, Used eBay Apex motor to replace burned up stock motor: priceless...." ;-)

Torco saved me ran a full tank of 87 with one can and no issue actually did it twice last season. I can carry 3 cans with me. I wouldn't use that as a excuse not to boost, your missing out on too much fun!

I've used the Torco stuff for years now in my 780 srx motor. Motor was spec'd for 94 minimum. I ran 8oz to 5 gallons of 91 and never had a problem and the motor looked great when I tore it down for rings last year. If I was buying from a questionable source on the trail I'd just dump more in. Figured it was cheaper than detonated pistons:)

I think that most with the phazers (same 80 hp engine) are running regular fuel - that's all we've used in our so far. The engines have a knock sensor (K light on guage pod) which kicks in for lower octane gas.

Have about 8000 km on two phazers so far with no enige issues.

That torco stuff isn't cheap. Dang, I like how they word their website tho, turning 91 premium into 102 octane.

Most of these products only indicate a 5 or 7 POINT increase, which depending on how you look at it, could turn 87 octane into 87.7 octane lol

couch said:
The engines have a knock sensor (K light on guage pod) which kicks in for lower octane gas.

Yep. You ain't gonna kill a 4 stroke with a knock sensor on lower octane gas. The timing is slightly retarded to prevent pre-ignition (detonation) because lower octane fuels actually have more potential energy and ignite earlier.

Torco and Dragon are the only 2 I trust and yes they do increase your octane. Sleddingfarmer 5 to 7 points is 87 to 94 octane.

I thought the deal with the 80hp motor was it made that hp if you ran 91...but it is not necessary, you will just be down a few ponies...I'm sure it would be safe to run 87

I run more 87 than I do 91 in my Phazer which is the same engine. I have yet to see the knock sensor light come on.

Back