• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OFT Steering Block

BombaPolaYama

TY 4 Stroke Master
I'm looking for the installation instructions for the Oft steering block. If the instructions are available on here for a Phazer or VL could some post the link or if not give me the instructions or some pointers for install?

thanks,

I just installed mine last weekend. no instructions either.

Pull your plastics off around the tank, head light including cover.
unbolt the old block, and put the new one in. it really is that easy.

you probibly don`t have to but it was doing other work on the sled, and i shifted my gas tank back just to give me more room. This will require pulling the seat, but that is only 2 bolts.

Okay thanks for the info. I have the VL so the headlight is part of the hood that lifts up and won't have to be removed. Hopefully I don't have to move the tank. Glad this item is an easier install - I just did the steering pivot bushings and A-arm bushings and that was interesting to say the least!

One more thing. I know the split bushing is self lubricated, but i did grease the inside of the bushing to help hold it in place while putting the top of the block on.

Steering bushings, and a-arm bushings were also done while i had all the plastics off. I think there may have been a post about it, but if you shim the upper spindle block it takes ALOT of play out of the steering. I know it would have been bettter to know while doing the steering bushing. but it took enought out of my sled to make it more than wirth it.

Totalrecall said:
.... I think there may have been a post about it, but if you shim the upper spindle block it takes ALOT of play out of the steering. I know it would have been bettter to know while doing the steering bushing. but it took enought out of my sled to make it more than wirth it.
I can't think where that shim would go. Any pics or parts numbers? And what did you use for a shim?
I noticed up/down slop in mine in the triangular piece on the right side that connects to a tierod that comes from the steering shaft/pivot assembly. I didn't take the time to try and fix it but is not real dificult to access.
thanks,

You're going to love the block, Bomba. Takes away all the back and forth motion for good. Mines been in 2 years and its still as tight as new...Spindles and tie rod ends, now that's a different story. C'mon USPS!!!! How long does it take to send a small box from Minnesota to Newfoundland???

When I put in mine, to give extra space to remove the old block, I had to move the wiring harness that goes around there. Putting the new one in was easier since it is actually smaller. I think I also had to remove the handlebar riser so that I could remove the plastic cover and get it out of the way.

Mooseman said:
When I put in mine, to give extra space to remove the old block, I had to move the wiring harness that goes around there. Putting the new one in was easier since it is actually smaller. I think I also had to remove the handlebar riser so that I could remove the plastic cover and get it out of the way.
Did you have to move the tank? I had all that removed last evening (wiring harness, handlebars, round plastic piece) and it seems the plate with the two bolts attached would not come out because it would strike against the tank side. If I could get this in w/o having to move the tank it would be great. thanks,

BTW, Ruckus what do you have coming from Minnesota? I have found shipping really good with USPS. I believe the stuff from SBM came in 8 days and the OFT shipment about the same. The OFT item was very well pkgd - a huge box for a small item so I think if the box was smaller it wouldn't cost $21 to ship (wow half the item cost - maybe they make the box larger so it won't get easily lost or something - ahah)

I didn't take the tank off but I do remember that it took a bit of muscle to get that plate and bolts off. I think I even used a pry bar (yeah, I'm lazy). The major thing blocking me was the bundle of wires.

when i did mine I was blocking off my tunnel, and had the tank loose, All i did was unclip the 2 quick connects, on the tank where the white access plate to the tank is, and shifted the tank to give me a little more working room.

I pushed on the handle bars, to create a gap, and slid out the old one. then slid the new one in. I assume the Venture is at lease similiar to the Phazer. but i did not have to mess with the wiring.
i was able to poke the socket witn an extension between the wires and cables. it was real easy.

Back