• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change- cylinder head cap/on top of engine by spark plug

09xtxrider

Extreme
Well, im in the middle of my first oil change and everything is going good so far, except the cylinder head cap. I was able to disconnect the tube but i cant remove the elbow fitting/cap.

Do i need to remove the whole cap, or was disconnecting the tube good enough?

I dont understand what removing this does?

thanks!

I personally have never removed that cap. I do the oil change without that step. I'm not sure what removing that would actually do. The oil seems to drain fine with it on, plus it's in a difficult location to remove and I'm a lazy guy.

Same with me, just leave that plug on top of your valve cover alone, all the oil drains out fine, and just refill the tank and your done. Just dont overfill the oil tank, I did and and the airbox breather sucks oil in and spits it all out under the motor! what a mess! Keep below full on the dipstick.

I dont understand what removing this does?

as best i can tell it wastes your time. i think it's one of those things that should be removed from the manuals but no one ever has

i have a 2010 vector and the manual says the same thing...yea right you have to disassemble half the sled to get to that cap. i can't see me ever removing it unless it's leaking for some reason

It's supposed to act as an air vent to allow the oil to drain, but as everyone has already mentioned, it's not necessary and is a waste of time.

hondavfr4ever said:
Same with me, just leave that plug on top of your valve cover alone, all the oil drains out fine, and just refill the tank and your done. Just dont overfill the oil tank, I did and and the airbox breather sucks oil in and spits it all out under the motor! what a mess! Keep below full on the dipstick.

Ditto on that. I stopped in the middle of the trail and saw oil dripping from under the sled. Did a parking lot tear down on the trail to confirm is was coming from the air box.

Most peeps seem to believe that more oil is better but as mentioned to much is not good the motor needs some breathing space or your filter will get an oil bath. Just keep before max level with dipstick out and youll be fine

Back