• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change F-Up

So I decided to perform my first oil change on my Attak earlier today and man did I screw it up. Breaking down the sled was pretty easy, thanks to Ulmer's instructions on the FAQ page but once I got to actually draining/replacing the oil things got a little screwy. I assumed that the oil reservoir and the crankcase were connected so, when you unplugged the drainage bolt on the crankcase, it would empty out ALL the oil in the sled. I didn't realize that the oil reservoir had its own separate plug so, after I drained the crankcase I proceeded to add brand new oil to the reservoir and only managed about 2 qts before it started overflowing. Long story short, the sled is sitting oil-less in the garage because I couldn't figure out a couple things.

1) I know you're supposed to add around 3.5L by the time you're done but, where are you supposed to add it? I figured you'd just add it all through the top hole in the oil reservoir but after looking around on here I noticed that people were saying something about adding oil to the crankcase. This is where my next question come in.

2) Are you supposed to add oil to the crankcase? And if so, where do you put it in?

Thanks in advance guys!

drain from both crank and tank. replace gasket on tank drain bolt torque to 11 ft pounds. add majority of oil, start for 30 seconds add remaining oil until you reach the specified amount or until oil fill is correct. check oil WITHOUT screwing in dipstick. you have to add to the tank cuz its some kinds weird oiling system, someone will chime in if they want to get technical on the oiling system. ooo and while draining remove the cap on the valve cover, helps the oil drain better.

Add oil to tank only. Did you drain the tank after you realized something was wrong? Do that before you do anything else if you haven't. Most of the oil in the system is stored in the tank, so without draining that, you will not have changed most of the oil. If you did not replace the filter, you will need less oil to fill to full level.

There are two drains on my apex. One under the engine and one on the bottom of the oil tank. Most of the oil is stored in the oil tank and not the engine as some have said. I drain oil from both. When adding oil I add to the oil tank only. I also add only what the manual says. I hope that helps....

Subaru2006

Drian oil reservoir.... this holds about 3-3.2L of oil. once this is drained, go under drain crank case, engine holds just about 1/2L. Are you changing filter? if so, now is the time when all oil is out... this is the nice part... remove air box, battery, battery bracket... you will see filter wayyyy down low, unsrew and replace with new(if your doing this)... then just repeat. With filter change, your engine should be hold 3.6L with oil change about 3.3L... some say(and manual) to put about 1/2L in crankcase via plug on top of valve cover.. i've never done this, just add to reservoir... run for a few mins... stop recheck... confused?? once you do it once... second time is twice as fast.... hope this helps... if not post... somebody will answer

When I drain my oil, I notice about 1 qt. comes out of the crankcase and about 2 qts. comes out of the oil tank, so when I fill the sled back up, i add 1 qt. to the engine and the rest to the oil tank. This is also the way my dealer does it. I hate to start the sled up with all the oil in the oil tank, and none in the engine.

BIG BLACK WARRIOR said:
I hate to start the sled up with all the oil in the oil tank, and none in the engine.
That was my thought exactly. As of right now, everything is drained out (tank and crankcase) so all I'll need to do is add the oil and get 'er running again. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll let you know how the rest of the process goes and if I run into any further problems!

As per the Apex service manual, you should be adding oil to the oil tank.

And here is how much it will need.

Quantity
Total amount
3.8 L (3.3 Imp qt, 4.0 US qt)
Periodic oil change
2.8 L (2.5 Imp qt, 3.0 US qt)
With oil filter replacement
3.0 L (2.6 Imp qt, 3.2 US qt)

If you warmed up the sled then drained it you chould be able to put:

3L (3.2 US qt) if you changed the filter
2.8L (3 US qt) if you did not remove the filter.

It all goes directly in the oil tank.

Finally finished! Yamaha definitely doesn't make their manuals easy to read but all's well that ends well right? Thanks for the help!

Why worry about starting the engine? Everytime you start it, it's typically dry in the case. The Yamaha techs wouldn't have written those step by step procedures after an oil change if they thought it was something which would damage the engine.

By the way, most of you probably forget to remove the oil tank screen. It usually has a lot of foreign material in it, plus if you pull that oil line down towards the ground, it allows a lot more old oil to escape.

jf

ecopter said:
By the way, most of you probably forget to remove the oil tank screen. It usually has a lot of foreign material in it, plus if you pull that oil line down towards the ground, it allows a lot more old oil to escape.

jf

X2 I do this every time and forgot to mention it.

ecopter said:

jf

Yeeeeaaahhhh...about that...Didn't even see it! lol Ah well, I'll just make a mental note for the next time I change the oil out. ;)!

Where is this screen and how do you access it.

Yamadoo

Back