• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change question

Unlcarl

I change the oil and tightened the chain (3turns) at 369 miles. I took out 2.9 quarts of oil. Put back in 4 full quarts. My questions are: Does it matter if I did it early? Does it matter that I overfilled it? I am above the sight glass. It seems that it wouldn't matter because the oil tank has plenty of room in it. Does that tank act as a reserve for the crank? Just curious. I could drain a little out if necessary . Btw. I love my viper!

Unlcarl said:
I change the oil and tightened the chain (3turns) at 369 miles. I took out 2.9 quarts of oil. Put back in 4 full quarts. My questions are: Does it matter if I did it early? Does it matter that I overfilled it? I am above the sight glass. It seems that it wouldn't matter because the oil tank has plenty of room in it. Does that tank act as a reserve for the crank? Just curious. I could drain a little out if necessary . Btw. I love my viper!

Does not matter that you changed it a little early, however it does matter if you over filled it. It could leak out of your over flow and you will have oil all over. I would drain it until it's close to the middle of the window.

Right on, that's what I would do! Better safe than sorry! :jump:

def. drain it. when its gets hot a full throttle pull it will most likely blow every where when you let off causing a huge mess! Get the motor hot then drain to half way in the window. be sure you didnt over tighten the chain. look in the chaincase section, i had to finger tight mine and then back out 1.5 turns. it was way too tight at the spec of 1/4 turn, and 1 turn was still too tight causing a howling noise out of the case. 1.5 turns back out seems to be what they were set at the factory before stretching during break in. my dealer told me to do both oil and chain case oil at 300. i recommend doing the chain case oil also right now if you didnt do it already. my chaincase oil was in pretty nasty shape at 300 miles.

I will Drain some oil when I get back up
North. Not sure I have time to do the chain case. I will asap. It was so cold I ran it from the heated garage to the trailer and then left. I think the chain is good. I backed it out 1 full turn after finger tight. I can always pull it back in the garage and adjust that.

Back