• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil comsumption on 04warrior?

low slung

TY 4 Stroke Master
My oil was change on the warrior at 2910miles,at 3600miles it has use about 1USquart and a half of motor oil,is this normal?What can i do to fix it?(keep in mind i dont leave in canada so i cannot buy RING-FREE,wish i knew a place in the US i could by some).

Wow, I've only gone through less than a half litre in 3000 kms.
I have heard the 03's burn a bit more but not that much.
Using Yamalube 0w30.

My 04 Warrior is using about the same at 9200 miles :o|
In 05 they changed the rings, the 03's and 04's used the same rings. Some use more oil than others, according to blackjohn who has torn down several of these motors, it all has to do with the "Ring End Gap".

Some are worse than others on the 03's and 04's and this is where all the oil is going :o|
The 05 Rings are the fix ;)!
Pretty ironic that we get all excited about not burning any oil anymore with 2 strokes, and here we are burning oil with our 4 strokes :drink:

I say "FOUL" :dunno:

Thanks guys,but i don,t think i want the ring-remedy without this best mechanic working on it.The season is just about over(over 1000miles,85% cross-country, awesome snow)so i will wait to next season and give it a shot of SEA-FOAM if i can find it at the local UAP store.A few questions for fellow 04 owners,does the oil usage get so bad that it needs a quart of oil ever 100miles?Second,how should i use the SEA-FOAM,add some to the fuel and run it a bit then add some to the oil and let it idle for 5 min,then change it,i don,t want to destroy my engine with this stuff.Any expert advice would be great.P.S its is also gettting a little harder on the fuel. :exc:

My brother's 04 Warrior used about half to three quarters of a litre on a 1000 miles.... Mine uses about half that and my Dad's is around the same as mine... Oil usage at the rate you're talking about isn't typical based on what I've read on here in the past few years.... Maybe something more than just the rings?? :dunno:

Oil consumption is always Rings and Valve guides.
May have something to do with the type of seals on the guides.

I notice some smoke at first start up for a moment or so, but not after. This makes me think valve guide seals.
There is low miles as well, so maybe it's an age issue with the seals.
I can live with it, and some extra oil in the cylinder when it's sitting
is not a bad thing.

I'm sure consumption would be less if one could use 20/50.
But not in this sport.

oil burning

i have reringed a few of these moter,s and on every one the ring end gap was the problem . one moter only had 4400 mile,s and it was only .006 tho out of spec . and at the othere end of the spectrom was a 15000 mile moter with over double the end gape it should have had. with 05 ring,s installed oil burning stoped. with out even doing any thing like vale stem seal,s . note that the piston,s in the 15000 mile rx 1 were still with in new spec . the only other part,s that i replaced were a few gasket,s and all new rod bolt,s . i even remove one layer of head gasket and advaced the ign timeing by moding the ign pickup. the rod bolt,s were replacd for added relablaty ( cheap ins) we even tryed the sea foam with no result,s . as most of ower rideing is done at relatively high speed. little if any cabon was found on the ring,s . also the 15000 mile rx 1 would still pull 115+ mph on radar before the ring.s were replaced . and the whole back of the sled was black from the expeled oil . all of the bearing,s ( rod & maim,s) looked just like new not one scrach or shinny spot . even the valve lash was spot on . and we ran these moter,s hard real hard wide open for miles at a time. when i say mile,s i mean 20-30. seeing speed,s of over 140 mph on the dream meter these are realy tuff moter,s . john ;)!

Re: oil burning

black john said:
i have reringed a few of these moter,s

So if I don't get around to it - Do you want to do mine?

So I gather that the 05 rings are harder, and mine are softer to seal quicker, but wear faster.

I may even do the turbo build trick we did with the pistons to force the rings to seal.
Drilling the piston tops behind the rings.

I think I'll double the oil volume capacity. I have an idea where it's going and never noticed.

Bob Miller said:
it all has to do with the "Ring End Gap".

End Gap is the result of ring wear. Just in case this
is confusing.

It's the most basic job there is building a motor.
Every manual for the last hundred years is the same for installing rings.

It was probably an experiment by Yamaha to use softer rings so they would break in quicker.

They knew people would go mach II day one.

I wouldn't bother with sea foam unless it was an old tractor with stuck rings.
Could do more harm than good adding it to the oil now making the oil a solvent.
For sure not cool for bearings.

Clean oil regardless of miles is the best.

If some are adding more than a quart or liter in 500 miles, you may have a tortured motor.
Ok, it's been 3 seconds now, back to WOT. Lol

Sucking the oil thru the carbs???

My 04 Warrior uses oil (about 1/2 pint in 400 miles) I noticed the air filter is always oiley right where the breather vent is located. Just wondering if the oil gets a little misty at 10,000 RPM and gets sucked thru the carbs. What do you guys think???

I thought they changed the rings in 2004.. only the 03s had major oil issues..

I know i read that somewhere just cant remember where..

My brothers 04 warrior has over 4600 miles ond burns little to no oil..

welterracer said:
I thought they changed the rings in 2004.. only the 03s had major oil issues..

I know i read that somewhere just cant remember where..

My brothers 04 warrior has over 4600 miles ond burns little to no oil..

03 and 04 use the same rings! They where changed in 05. I believe what blackjohn said because he has had several of these engines apart, it's the Ring End Gap. SOME ARE WORSE THAN OTHERS!!

My exhaust spews black soot all over the place. My tunnel extension has black spots all over, I have to put a piece of wood on the ends of my exhaust in the garage so the walls don't get sprayed. What does this mean?

First question,will this ring-gap issue lead to my engine blowing up or putting a rod through the case?,Second,whats the worst oil comsumption has any RX owner dealt with and does it get worst or hits a certain limit?P.S.Just purchased a can of YAMAHA COMBUSTION CHAMBER CLEANER to put in the motor next winter,might be the first person on this site to do so.Have more faith in this stuff than SEA-FOAM.

Back