• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Consumption and Break-in Method

Oil Consumption and Break-in Method

• I'm using an excessive amount of oil and I broke my sled in easy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm using an excessive amount of oil and I broke my sled in hard

• I'm not using an excessive amount of oil and I broke my sled in easy

• I'm not using an excessive amount of oil and I broke my sled in hard

• Total voters

Tfin

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
New here and I'm considering either an RX-1 or Warrior for next season. I've been reading up on the oil consumption issue and wanted to see if this poll might shed some light......concerning oil consumption and break-in method.

Broke her in like the way I was going to ride. My pappy told me to do that when I was just a young un.

I am not using any oil and running Mobile 1 5w30 synthetic

Unfortunatley I am starting to feel as I made a big mistake by following the book :oops: :cry:

Warrior.

No heat cycling. No running engine until first run other than loading on trailer at the dealer and dealer set up.

Slightly harder break in than recommended by the manufacturer.

About 1,000 miles on the sled. 600 miles since last oil change.

No use of oil. [so far]

Hope to get another thousand miles next week. Will be interesting to see the situation then.

1300 miles , used about 2 ounces since 500 mi. initial change. Broke it in the right way, my way that is.

I broke mine in absolutely by the book. Now have 4400 miles uses very little oil. It has been 1700 miles since last oil change added maybe about a 1/2 quart... Stupid question how do you vote?????

i broke my 03 rx-1 in exactly by the book .believe it or not i never went over the rpms that it said not to (it was very hard but i did it) 1700 miles on it now and only one oil change at 556 miles.it has not used one drop of oil whatsoever. also note that i am not an aggresive rider ,brought it up to 100 on the speedo twice,thats all. Mark.

I broke mine in the MOTOMAN method: Did not run the Warrior until I was ready to ride it, than at the first snow I took it out into the airfield near my house which is a little over 1/2 mile long and I hammered it back and forth for 20 miles, than I changed the oil and filter, than I took it to Canada and whenever possible WOT. At 500 miles I changed the oil and filter again. It now has 2800 miles on it and I'm done for the season! I will be changing the oil and filter using Synthetic this time From 500 to 2800 miles I added about 8-10 ounces of oil, not bad for 2300 miles of use with a lot of WOT :twisted:

You need another catagory. Broke mine in a little harder than easy, but not hard, and I am burning oil.

Broke in EASY the first 50 miles, then had a chance to WOT on a small lake for a few runs (lost to a well broke in RX 1 ) THEN rode progressivly harder up to 500 mi. switched to AMSOIL this year after 1,500 mi. So far added 1 pint after 1,250 mi :D

I have had two warriors now...

FIrst one i broke in by starting up in garage and running till got hot and shut it off and let cool.. did this several times... Then beat the crap out of it... Burned very little oil!!

Second one... drove home from dealer... beat the crap out of it right away.. Have 965 miles on it and burns NO OIL!!

Broke mine in how I normally ride. 4100 miles using 5w/30 then this year switched to Amsoil 0-40 cause it wouldn't start at 32 below in Quebec. Now has 5800 miles and used about a quart in these 1700 miles. This isn't bad, just wish it didn't use any oil at all.

Interesting. So far it appears that more people are not using an excessive amount of oil. Of those that are not, more have broke their sled in hard than easy. But the ones that did break their engine in easy aren't to far behind.

Keep voting. The more votes we get, we might begin to see a pattern start to surface.

have bought the 04 Warrior LE, but haven´t ride it yet due to lack of snow :evil: . Will break it in the Motoman way, which is running it hard for sure :twisted: . Can´t wait to do it.

Back