• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil filter's

noahster said:
probably being a nervous nanny,but do you guys see a problem with using a fram oil filter!!!!!

There definitely not the best, in fact probably one of the worst kind you can buy (check out bitog.com)

There are many others out there that replace the stock Yamaha filter and are much better than Fram imo.

Wix, Napa, Car Quest, K&N, Hi-Flo etc etc, do a search or hopefully someone posts up the alternates for you.

(Just my opinion, not looking to start another oil/filter debate/battle :o| )

Just a foot note, but I have a filter wrench I bought especially for these filters, and it didn't fit my after market filter. Had a heck of a time getting it off, of course my compressor is right above and in front of the filter.

Back to the stock filters for me.

Were im from the local yamaha dealers dont have a clue about sleds and they will admit it,so unfortanatlly i got one from them and it wasnt the right one (shorter).I had to visit the local parts store on sunday nobody else is open and had the sled in peices.Just second guessing myself on the fram.It looks identical to the yamaha one i pulled off(denso).jsut hope its going to be okay.

That sux. I guess as long as the yamaha part # crosses with whatever you have you should fine I would think.

This guy on Youtube took apart a bunch of filters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfj9KUv0pKY

Fram is by far the WORST with cardboard end caps. Another video shows a used Fram filter with these end caps falling apart. All of their filters are made this way. Also beware of their clones rebadged to Quaker State, Pennzoil and Motomaster. It doesn't matter if it's their basic, extended, special or motorsport filters, they're all the same. I wouldn't trust Fram in my lawnmower.

X2

I would have waited to buy a better filter.

Mooseman said:
This guy on Youtube took apart a bunch of filters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfj9KUv0pKY

Fram is by far the WORST with cardboard end caps. Another video shows a used Fram filter with these end caps falling apart. All of their filters are made this way. Also beware of their clones rebadged to Quaker State, Pennzoil and Motomaster. It doesn't matter if it's their basic, extended, special or motorsport filters, they're all the same. I wouldn't trust Fram in my lawnmower.

I used a FRAM filter one season with no issues. Once I saw this link I switched back to Yamaha filters just to be safe. :-o

bottlerocket said:
Why chance it. Fram is not good filter on anything..
when i was in the trucking industry, all truck manufacturers would reject policy requests (warranty above warranty) if you used anything from fram (air,oil or fuel filters).

noahster said:
Were im from the local yamaha dealers dont have a clue about sleds and they will admit it,so unfortanatlly i got one from them and it wasnt the right one (shorter).I had to visit the local parts store on sunday nobody else is open and had the sled in peices.Just second guessing myself on the fram.It looks identical to the yamaha one i pulled off(denso).jsut hope its going to be okay.

In the future, just tell your local Yamaha dealer to sell you a filter for a Yamaha R1 streetbike (crotch rocket).

Its the same engine and uses the same filter.

Filter is a filter is a filter, maybe some better than others....but fall apart??
Not likely. I use the K&N, simply because it has a 17 MM nut on it for ease of removal.
My 2cents

Back