• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil in air box

charlie

Pro
after the last years last trip in cochrane i was using some oil i notice in the air box to me seemed like alot in it. The trail were like glass. the riding was mostly wide open i have a air box mod not sure why all the oil?

If the oil is overfull, it will get blown into the airbox.

Remember, the dipstick is not supposed to be screwed in to check the oil level.

If the sled has ever been tipped onto its left side, it will leak into the airbox.

Another thing to consider, these engines spin at 10,000 RPM WOT, and average 6-7,000 just cruising. That's alot of crankcase pressure.

All of my 4-strokes have blown some oil into the airbox ('06 Nytro, '08 Nytro, '06 Apex, '10 Vector) I don't worry about it.

I had a nytro before and mine did it and kinda came down to the vent for the oil only did it when I was on rough trail or tipping it over

Another option to look at is behind the primary. I had this happen, when you blow a belt, the cords can wrap around the primary shaft and detroy the seal on the shaft where it enters the case. Mine was covered with belt cord and the seal was gone. The spinning primary shot oil around and got sucked into the airbox, coating the filter and air box.

Just something to check is the seal behind the primary.

mine gets oil in air box every year but mostly when i tip it over in the powder. but every year when i open it up i expect to see it and i do nothing to worrie about as long as you open it and clean it at least 1 a season the only time it becomes a prob is if it gets to the point of flooding into the intake then engine damage can happen. try not to over fill the oil and it will be less of a concern.

Back