• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil in coolant.

hondavfr4ever

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08 FXNytro
Just changed the coolant in my 08 FX Nytro with 2225 miles, was ridding in Northern MN on the Iron Range this week in single dig. temps on hard pack, and got the yellow heat light about 4 times. Read on this site to get rid of the factory coolant and I switched to 50/50 mix Peak global, with half bottle of Waterwetter. After a 45 mile ride today went to top off coolant and found a little oil floating below the radiator cap. like a nickle size, none in the overflow bottle that I can see. Is it normal or do I have a blown motor? The sled has always run perfect and is not abused. I have only seen the overheat light about 6 times since I bought it. The most was this week, in one day and didnt do it all day, only on the hard pack trail, and didnt come on today on my 45 mile ride at all, and it was about 32-35 today. 45-55 mph at times. I have never had to add oil, Use Amsoil full Syn 0w-40, oil is clean, doesnt look like any coolant in oil, sled doesnt smoke, Any one else ever see this, I guess Im very worried now! :o|

Start it up and look for bubbles in coolant.If not all that is is contamination or maybe something in the coolant or water wetter itself.Even a pin size speck of oil in water will make a big floating spot.Nothing to worry about.

probably head gasket.it might show up on the sparkplugs look to see they are all burning the same.engine leakdown test should tell the story.also check to see if there is coolant in the oil.does the sled smoke a bit or have a funny exaust smell?

Checked my spark plugs, they all look the same, perfect, no water in oil, oil clean, not milky, sled does not smoke or smell, and I rode it for 2 hours at 47 deg F and since I changed coolant its not overheating, still seeing little dark spots of oil in radiator, the sled runs perfect though! Was a new bottle of antifreeze and a clean funnel, Im lost on whats wrong with this thing?

Back