• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OIL leak!!

jonlafon1

Lifetime Member
Mount Morris, WI. Chaney Lake, Upper MI eh!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder LTX_SE

2024 Catalyst RXC

2017 Sidewinder LTX-SE. 11750 miles (SOLD)
Well I made 350 miles on my first Yamaha. Then I noticed oil all over my new Klim bibs - inside right ankle. No codes no heat issues at this point. Decide to look inside right panel. ENGINE OIL all over inside /down OIL reservoir and chain case. Get pulled out for first time in my life. OIL level is not into clear tube at all. So I pick up a quart of oil slower fill the whole quart and it just makes it into clear tube. Fire up motor and wait and watch with flash lights. F$&@ing oil is leaking out of the case/gasket about half way up magnesium case. It's like it has a bad gasket on it. Never hit anything, never went off trail, hell never had the track off the ground. Straight trail riding.
Not to mention the belt dust everywhere in the cluch area.
Or the terrible shock valving on the SE Model back shock. Is this thing valved / springs for King Kong??
Other then that it was a great trip to the UP cabin. Yamaha going to buy me new bibs that were soaked in oil. LOL another beer ?

Last edited:

Dumb question but you've tried tightening the flange?

What a bitch man.

Dumb question but you've tried tightening the flange?

What a bitch man.
Not a dumb question. I thought about it but it was our last day up and I figured the gasket was junk and tightening probably wouldn't have solved it. But no I did not check torque on it. Got to be light on the wrench on that magnesium case also. To the dealer. Just glad I caught it before any codes or heat issues. It was down one quart

That really bites. Curious to hear what you find out and what dealer has to say about this, rollers, and belt issues you've had. Keep us posted.

Yup it sure is. The clutching stuff will be fine in due time. But the suspension set up stock was brutal and still a work in progress. The engine oil leak well that just plain old BS. did I say it does pull like a beast. Lol

UPDATE ***
Dealer serviced sled for leak. Said the Gasket material was VERY THIN where leak was. Leaked about half way up oil tank on both sides of magnesium case.

Man that really blows! i gotta say, this really looks bad on yamaha right now and it's all in the build process. The more these little problems keep popping up the more it emphasizes the need for yamaha to take their tags off these sleds or step up to the plate and put some quality control in place! I have to admit, i just got the call to go pick mine up a couple days ago and at this point i'm hesitating because i'm not sure i want the aggravations preventing me from riding when i get little time to do so. Hell, we're less than 2 months from the next sowcheck! Maybe that RR skid will be on the 50th! NOT! LOL!
Hopefully Yammie makes good on this for you and hits you with some new riding gear of your choice for your troubles! Again this is real bad optics and they have to start on damage control and if not it's a big FU.
Thanks for posting Jonlafon, i have been on here constantly getting informed with your posts and many others.....too many to list, in hopes things get worked out on these beasts.

Man that really blows! i gotta say, this really looks bad on yamaha right now and it's all in the build process. The more these little problems keep popping up the more it emphasizes the need for yamaha to take their tags off these sleds or step up to the plate and put some quality control in place! I have to admit, i just got the call to go pick mine up a couple days ago and at this point i'm hesitating because i'm not sure i want the aggravations preventing me from riding when i get little time to do so. Hell, we're less than 2 months from the next sowcheck! Maybe that RR skid will be on the 50th! NOT! LOL!
Hopefully Yammie makes good on this for you and hits you with some new riding gear of your choice for your troubles! Again this is real bad optics and they have to start on damage control and if not it's a big FU.
Thanks for posting Jonlafon, i have been on here constantly getting informed with your posts and many others.....too many to list, in hopes things get worked out on these beasts.

Thanks! a bad seal that ruined my day.(it was my last day of my vacation, If it was my first day I would have blown a gasket myself also!!)
These things do happen on ALL brands. Overall this sled is very good, once the secondary issues are ironed out >look out! Not saying all sleds have issues because some are having 0 issues.. Pick up your sled fatchance you will be smiling the first time you pin it.
O did I tell you it pulls like a freight train!

************ UPDATE************* OIL LEAK IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!! ******* 1500 MILES
Noticed my sled is leaking a SMALL amount of engine oil! This time along with the first time(probably related) I believe I have found the problem.. Its the check valve/roll over valve that is attached just below the turbo antifreeze case... See pic. So I noticed its leaking at the bottom of the oil case right at gasket again.. This time I caught it as its barely leaking much (1-2 drops a week in heated garage).. So first thing I do is warm it up and while doing so I unscrew the oil fill plug checking for case pressure and WOOLAH air coming from the oil fill plug as I unscrew it. Next I put my thumb over hole and hold air tight for 3-5 seconds and release and it damn near hisses at me!! The sleds RPM are fluctuating(200-300) as I put my thumb onto the oil fill hole and release the pressure that's building in tank ... (sleds idling )
. So I talk with service guy at dealer(who knows his #*$&@, and a TY member that knows his #*$&@ also)and dig in a little more. Kind of thinking its the check valve/roll over valve).. I check all hoses coming and going from oil case, find no kinks or zip ties to tight ETC. Next I start checking the hose that come out of the top of the oil case. I disconnect from check valve going each way and blow into the hose.. I try blowing into and past check valve after checking other side which goes into the bigger tube > and attached to air box.(no resistance at all).. I find it very hard to blow past the check valve.
At this point I actually feel relieved I got this oil leak thing figured.. So to double check my findings I go to hardware store and buy a plumbing fitting with male ends .. Disconnect both lines on check valve and bypass it all together with plumbing fitting.. Start sled and it idles PERFECT at 1800 for a bit then drops to 1500 and idles smooth.. Next unscrew oil fill plug and press thumb over hole for 3-5 seconds > no pressure.. Also sled continues to idle PERFECT. .Also did check the valve itself with a flash light and small screw driver.. I pushed on little ball inside valve and appeared to work fine and function fine>> APPEARED key word
Info relayed to dealer and they find me a part .. Thinking this valve was bad from day one.. Now it has failed completely and the next ride would have been BAD.. Case gasket would have blown again no doubt .. Just CAN NOT roll over sled with this valve disconnected
IMG_0335.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG

Last edited:
Nice find! Mine has been dripping a small amount on to garage floor as well. Driving me nuts. Have to check this.

************ UPDATE************* OIL LEAK IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!! ******* 1500 MILES
Noticed my sled is leaking a SMALL amount of engine oil! This time along with the first time(probably related) I believe I have found the problem.. Its the check valve/roll over valve that is attached just below the turbo antifreeze case... See pic. So I noticed its leaking at the bottom of the oil case right at gasket again.. This time I caught it as its barely leaking much (1-2 drops a week in heated garage).. So first thing I do is warm it up and while doing so I unscrew the oil fill plug checking for case pressure and WOOLAH air coming from the oil fill plug as I unscrew it. Next I put my thumb over hole and hold air tight for 3-5 seconds and release and it damn near hisses at me!! The sleds RPM are fluctuating(100-200) as I put my thumb onto the oil fill hole and release the pressure that's building in tank ... (sleds idling )
. So I talk with service guy at dealer(who knows his #*$&@, and a TY member that knows his #*$&@ also)and dig in a little more. Kind of thinking its the check valve/roll over valve).. I check all hoses coming and going from oil case, find no kinks or zip ties to tight ETC. Next I start checking the hose that come out of the top of the oil case. I disconnect from check valve going each way and blow into the hose.. I try blowing into and past check valve after checking other side which goes into the bigger tube > and attached to air box.(no resistance at all).. I find it very hard to blow past the check valve.
At this point I actually feel relieved I got this oil leak thing figured.. So to double check my findings I go to hardware store and buy a plumbing fitting with male ends .. Disconnect both lines on check valve and bypass it all together with plumbing fitting.. Start sled and it idles PERFECT at 1800 for a bit then drops to 1500 and idles smooth.. Next unscrew oil fill plug and press thumb over hole for 3-5 seconds > no pressure.. Also sled continues to idle PERFECT..
Info relayed to dealer and they find me a part .. Thinking this valve was bad from day one.. Now it has failed completely and the next ride would have been BAD.. Case gasket would have blown again no doubt .. Just CAN NOT roll over sled with this valve disconnected View attachment 126681 View attachment 126682 View attachment 126683
my valve fell apart early on when just trying to remove the hose. I informed the dealer but had already purchased one online. next time I go there I will give him that and the rollers. no problems since.

Nice find! Mine has been dripping a small amount on to garage floor as well. Driving me nuts. Have to check this.
I would say the easiest way is warm up sled and unscrew oil cap and press thumb down onto hole and see if it builds pressure.. I was told that there should be NO pressure in that case.. I would think a LITTLE would be okay > like very LITTLE.. Not sure how much pressure it takes to open that valve but I know mine is not functioning correctly

I would say the easiest way is warm up sled and unscrew oil cap and press thumb down onto hole and see if it builds pressure.. I was told that there should be NO pressure in that case.. I would think a LITTLE would be okay > like very LITTLE.. Not sure how much pressure it takes to open that valve but I know mine is not functioning correctly
you can stick a small diameter something in it and see if you can depress the spring easily. its just a light spring and plunger in there with maybe 3/8" or so movement.

Attachments

• 100_7637.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 261
  • 100_7638.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 320
you can stick a small diameter something in it and see if you can depress the spring easily. its just a light spring and plunger in there with maybe 3/8" or so movement.
DID that and mine was and appeared to work fine.. But no way that case can handle the pressure mine was building.. I did not take mine apart as I want dealer to see it first hand, and they also requested this as they want the info and actually will be getting my sled to see this stuff and play with it.. Im guessing my spring is broke ?? or jammed up..

Last edited:

Back