• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil tank sealant

RTX

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 viper rtx
2006 apex rtx
anyone know what cat uses to seal the oil tank to the chaincase.
Cant find it in the manual.
Thanks

Yamahabond 6B

20160115_213750.jpg

Last edited:
My tank was leaking from the factory. I took it apart to put a different track on and used Right Stuff. I use it on my Race Car on everything from intake, oil pan and even headers works awesome. It still leaked so I took it apart today to see why and the tank is over 20 thousands warped at the bottom so the silicone doesn't even squeeze out.

Ok. So my chaincase cover had a crack from new.
Dealer fixed it. Whatever he used did not seal and it leaked the entire tank on to my new boots.
I was up in maine and in a bind and I resaeled it using yamabond (not sure on the # but it is designed for sealing cases)
It lasted for a while but is now dripping.
Called closest dealer this morning. The Dealer does not stock yamabond 6b
Autoparts stores did not have ultra gray, but they did have ultra black gasket maker.
Gonna give that a try. It claims to have a higher oil resistance than the gray. Gray was better for vibration.
Just cleaned it all up real good. Wiped down with acetone and resealed following the exact directions on the package.
Hope this 3 rd time is a charm. I am sick of cleaning oil off this inner belly pan.
What a frickin mess.

If it was cracked from new you'd think the dealer would have gotten you a new one not fixed it with a sealant

Staggs65
I guess i was not clear.
The dealer did replace the chaincase cover with a new one, but in doing that job it requires resealing the oil tank to the chaincase cover.
Thats whet the dealer screwed up.
The oil tank leaked from the dealer after the chaincase cover replacement.

I tried to fix it in a hurry and resealed it with yamabond (#4. I think, cant remember) it held for a while but now is leaking again.
This weekend will be the 3rd time it has been resealed. Just looking to do it right this time.

Ok, I understand now. Thanks for the clarification

Staggs65
I guess i was not clear.
The dealer did replace the chaincase cover with a new one, but in doing that job it requires resealing the oil tank to the chaincase cover.
Thats whet the dealer screwed up.
The oil tank leaked from the dealer after the chaincase cover replacement.

I tried to fix it in a hurry and resealed it with yamabond (#4. I think, cant remember) it held for a while but now is leaking again.
This weekend will be the 3rd time it has been resealed. Just looking to do it right this time.

The yamamabond works excellent but both surfaces need to be clean and dry. Best to clean up both sides with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner first to get any excess oil off. Apply a thin bead of yamahabond to the oil tank side only and install it, don't over tighten the bolts. Let it sit overnight before adding oil so the yamahabond can dry.

The yamamabond works excellent but both surfaces need to be clean and dry. Best to clean up both sides with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner first to get any excess oil off. Apply a thin bead of yamahabond to the oil tank side only and install it, don't over tighten the bolts. Let it sit overnight before adding oil so the yamahabond can dry.

Thanks for the info, but its done now. Sealed with permatex ultra bleck gasket maker.
I have the correct yamabond sealant on order joust in case i have further problems.

Thanks guys

Just to update this post.
Permatex ultra black seems to be holding up great.
300 miles this weekend and not a single drip.
I will update if anything changes

I use ultra black on chaincases. never a leak

Back