• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Initial Chaincase Service

snomonut

VIP Member
I finally was able to ride my 2022 SR Viper for 700 miles last weekend. I have another quick weekend trip planned for 10 days from now. I do not have the time to take the sled to a dealer as I work for a tax accountant and the tax prep season is ramping up quickly. I probably shouldn't be going on another snowmobile trip.....but I digress. I'm not sure I'll have the time, or the expertise, to pull the chaincase cover to replace the fluid. Is it possible to get "most" of the fluid out of the chaincase using an oil evacuation pump? Thanks in advance.....

If you don't want to take it all the way off, you can either suction it out (better than nothing) or you can loosen the bolts on the chaincase cover and pull out on the bottom of the tank to let the oil drain. It won't take much of a gap (maybe 1-2 mm) and the oil will all drain out. Then you tighten the bolts back up, remove the shift actuator, and fill based on the site glass. It should take around 12-14 oz.

Also, at 500 miles, I believe it calls for an oil change as well.

If you don't want to take it all the way off, you can either suction it out (better than nothing) or you can loosen the bolts on the chaincase cover and pull out on the bottom of the tank to let the oil drain. It won't take much of a gap (maybe 1-2 mm) and the oil will all drain out. Then you tighten the bolts back up, remove the shift actuator, and fill based on the site glass. It should take around 12-14 oz.

Also, at 500 miles, I believe it calls for an oil change as well.
Thank you ksiesel! Yes, I have the oil change to do this week as well. Curious, where would you try and suction out the chaincase oil?

Just loosen the bottom half of the bolts a few turns. Carefully insert a slot screwdriver in between the tabs just enough to help pry the cover slightly.
If we aren't pulling the case right apart this is how we do it all the time.

Thank you ksiesel! Yes, I have the oil change to do this week as well. Curious, where would you try and suction out the chaincase oil?
If doing the suction method, you would fish a hose into the dame hole you fill from (the reverse shift actuator).

I myself would prefer the loosen bolts and pull outer cover away to drain though as it will be more complete for sure.

One more trip on that chain case oil isn't going to hurt a thing, think about how long gearlube is in a pumpkin on a car. Ride it. Than do it right during the summer, get into that chaincase and look it all over.

Back