• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Opened chain case now no reverse

dirk

Extreme
Well I opened my chaincase and cleaned everything as well as re packed/replaced some bearings but now the sled won't go into reverse? I suspect it's the lever inside but just curious how to put the cover back on correctly so it's in the proper position. I didn't touch the linkage adjustment.

When sliding the cover on got to hold the handle up almost all the way and as soon as it starts going in slide the handle to 3/4 or 1/2 the reverse fork got to grab the outer ring of the bottom gear. It's tricky first time after a few times its a piece of cake just some fooling around

Kirkdking said:
When sliding the cover on got to hold the handle up almost all the way and as soon as it starts going in slide the handle to 3/4 or 1/2 the reverse fork got to grab the outer ring of the bottom gear. It's tricky first time after a few times its a piece of cake just some fooling around

X2

You'll have to pull the cover off and when you put it back on you need to ensure the reverse fork is pointing up. You actually need to watch/manipulate the fork to drop into the groove when pushing the cover on. If the cover has any resistance or bounce when you mate the halves then it's not mated properly. You'll only do this once. lol

I've also noticed if I have the chain tension too tight it won't go into reverse.

Yep I did finger tight, I'll try backing it off before I remove the cover again tonight. I did lift the linkage rod as I put the case back on (I removed the top linkage when taking the cover off so I had to lift it back up to that height to reinstall the cover because I couldn't lift it afterward).

If it worked prior to removing the cover it's your fork. You can watch it go on as you sneak the top of the cover on. Start with the bottom first.

Kirkdking said:
revster said:
I've also noticed if I have the chain tension too tight it won't go into reverse.

Finger tight then quarter backed off works wonuderfull...

Yes but finger tight for you and finger tight for someone else might not be the same. A lot of times mine won't go into reverse 1/4 off so I back it off slightly more and it will go in.

Well I got it and that was probably the most frustrating thing I've ever had to do in recent years. I don't know what I was doing wrong but after 2hrs of taking it off and on I'm done.

Back