• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Orange dot

ShaggyRS

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Vector
So I grabbed a mirror and checked my tensioner. I have the dreaded orange dot. I found a poll thread here but no real replys. Just a couple. So how urgent is this? I hear a sound on that side of the motor. Sounds like it could be the chain. Is a little noise normal? Is it pretty loud when it's a problem? And how many have really failed vs how many were changed as a preventative measure?

I've read the whole thing. It appears there are more people changing it because it's a possible problem than have actually had a problem. It's always my buddies friend had it happen or I heard this or that. There are a few instances noted where the actual person had the problem. I'm not saying I'm not going to change mine. I'm just wondering if it's immediately necessary.

For Yamaha put out a service bulletin and update the part they must have determined it was a significant enough problem to address it. Is it immediately necessary? Maybe not but if it fails the engine will be junk and many owners didn't want to take that chance. I've changed out a lot of these tensioners and out of all I've done only a few had a distinct noise that I'd consider a potential failure. My old 2005 Vector wasn't making any noise when the bulletin first came out so I wasn't going to change it but shortly after it started to rattle which convinced me to not take a chance and update it. I'm always willing to do another if you need some help on this.

Last edited:
The failure rate is always 100% when it happens to you.

Why risk an engine over $160 in parts and a days labor to swap it.

Back