• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Overheating Question on 06 rs vector

venture2

Extreme
I had my overheat light come on a few weeks ago and the cause was lack of cooling; lack of loose snow. In reviewing the owners manual, It says that the engine will shut down due to an overheat situation if the machine is left Idling for too long. You would think the machine would shut down under any overheat situation, whether your idling or moving along, but since they used the word idling I'm starting to wonder.
Does anyone know for sure? In their description of what situations may trigger a overheat warning light & heat indicator they don't mention anything in the sequence about the engine shutting down at some point. Obviously, when the light comes on your going to shut down to prevent serious damage; so maybe they don't want people to ignor the light & push it to a automatic shutdown?
thanks!

The only time they shut down, for overheat protection, is if left idling for 3 minutes at operating temperature. I think they leave it run, when overheating when riding, so you can get into some powder and cool it off. Aslo figuring you'd know enough to shut it down. Plus, if your temp sensor went bad, and kept light on, you wouldn't be able to drive it. Also, if you melted your motor down from it, they can bill you for the engine, rather than repairing under warranty. :bling I'm researching ice scratchers right now. I've heard they help a lot.

I have an 06 Nytro, and know from experience that it will shut down while idling. It happened to me at night when I used my sled to light up a broken down sled. At first I thought GREAT- now there are 2 broken sleds. It started right back up and the temp. light was on- overheated. I would think it would also shut down while driving, but don't know for sure.

Install the add on rear tunnel that available from Yamaha for these sleds. Also, order a digital temp gage from Ulmer Racing to monitor your engine temps.

I'm going for the rear heat exchanger as suggested

I'm looking at the rear heat exchanger although I've read about the snow scratchers and they work as well , from what I've read anyway. When my machine overheated the only place that had any snow or ice build up was right under the mud flap and thats where that extra heat exchanger would go.

After reading some of the notes, it makes sense that maybe the machine would only shut down when overheat occured while idling. Probably wouldn't be a good thing if you were in front of a group, at speed and your machine suddenly goes dead. Although, nothing wrong with maybe awarning light at first and then 5-10 deg. higher a shutdown.

I wonder If sometime we'll see a total elimination of surface heat exchangers and conversion to auto style radiators. They're useing supplimental versions of this already on the Apex & new Vectors.
Thanks!

I've only had the light come on twice in 5 years. Both times it was in very poor snow conditions where there was nothing getting to the exchangers. I'm glad it doesn't shut down, because it went back off when I went off trail for a short period. Common sense would tell you when it's time to shut 'er down if you couldn't cool it off.

i put ice scratchers on last year the ones from yamaha had the heat light coming on all the time in low snow conditions so i ordered a set put them on and never had the light on sense. it also helps give lots of lubrication for the slides so i like them alot i got 4000 km on slides and they should be good for this winter for sure i wouldnt have a rs sled without ice scratchers

i added the rear heat exchanger on both my sleds. it helped allot. but i am still going to add ice scratchers for those hard conditions to help with hyfax wear.

I wish they would incorporate something like T.O.R.S.- maybe not as drastic. Just so you would know it is too hot. I almost destroyed my srx motor a few years ago in bright sunshine-you can't see the temp light. My water pump failed and I didn't realize it until it started bogging. It discolored the blue- on the center head! I got very lucky. Replaced water pump and o-rings on all 3 heads and no issues!

Back