• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oversteer

thetruck454

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I'm still trying to get the sled to handle to my liking.

Currently I have the weigh transfer set to min, only 5mm preload on front and center shock and the torsion springs set to med/hard

Rear clicker is 5 clicks form soft on compression and rebound
Front clickers are 3 clicks from soft on rebound and 5 clicks from soft on compression

IIt still pushes way to much in the corner for me. I would like it to tend toward oversteer as I feel I can control this much better than understeer. I'm wondering if its the fact that the ski's don't grab enough, of if its something else. It was the first ride on my g/f's IQ 600 and I love how tail happy that is, granted I don't expect my xtx to handle like the 121, but I'd like to get it as much as I can.

Any one have any suggestions?

I just recently brought my limiter strap down 2 holes before going on a trip last weekend, and it was a world of a difference for me, but also the skies are a key

I didn't mention mods in my post, but you can look down at my sig and see what Ive done.

I have curve ski's this year, and I had C&A xtx ski's last year.

X2 on the C&As YamahaFreak! Just put the C&A XTX on this last trip and love them!!! No more darting and steering exactly where I want the sled to go..
;)!

X3 on the C&A's. you just point and shoot. I would like to know what you find out on the push, right now mine turns to good and at slow speed or down a straight I feel like I need to hit the gym to turn it.

Are you saying that you experienced push, even with C&A skis? Then definitely suck up the front limiter staps a hole or two.

I rode my nytro for the first time this past weekend aand i can tell you at any kind of speed and twistys

my sled is down right scary!!!!! I have a 09 rtx se with 144 down the center with brand new slydogs with bergstrom savers and 6 inch studboy shapers

rear suspension definately needs some work to get the front to turn

hopefully ill have it sorted out on the next ride

jammie

I've said it a bunch lately, but if you have a pro valve your rear shocks for aggressive trail riding, put some nice progressive valving in them, the whole sled works better.

Handles better, turns easier, transfers weight like a normal sled. With the shocks valved correctly, the sled will "sit in" and just work like it should.

Even with C&A pro Razor skis on my brothers nytro (my old sled) it turns nice. Its not super easy steering but compared to how it was the year before with the stock shocks...its almost super easy.

well in my case im thinking im gonna start with the limiter straps and pull them up a couple holes to start with and see what i can accomplish as my buddy has the same sled as i do with slp powder pros on his with the limiters pulled up and his is a totally different machine then mine as for trail manners.... might take me a couple times out but ill get it dialed in no question.....

Also what I am fighting is the skis will turn easy at first, then at just the point where I want to turn them a little tigher, I almost have to shove them. Its not nearly as fluid of a motion as when I was riding the cat crossfires.

thetruck454 said:
Also what I am fighting is the skis will turn easy at first, then at just the point where I want to turn them a little tigher, I almost have to shove them. Its not nearly as fluid of a motion as when I was riding the cat crossfires.

I would refrain from pulling the front straps anymore then one hole, get the center shock preload loose then tighten it a tad. I would recomend getting some tripple rate springs for the front and dual rate for the center, I found those to be the biggest issues to be that sled, the center shock is a pain because the valving is to light from the factory and the only adjustment is spring pre-load, so most people tighten it up and that makes the front end understeer. That shock needs stiffer valving and a better spring at the minimum. I have very good luck with this setup as of now its the best this sled has ever been, granted its a high end package from HyGear but still the stock shock bodies.

Front shocks:

Spring Pre-load: 2.5" of thread showing
Compression: 5 clicks in from full soft
HS compression: full stiff
Rebound: 4 clicks in from full soft

Ski's: 8" PowderHounds w/9" DUECE 1/8 toe out no shims

Center shock:

Spring pre-load as loose as possible with out rattle
Compression 1 click from full stiff (add-on rezi)
Limiter strap pulled up one hole from stock

Rear shock:

Compression full soft
HS Compression full stiff
Torsion spring soft (1900NM springs)

Not sure on the transfer, somewhere in the middle.

Rider weight: 270 w/o gear
2.5 gallons of fuel (jerry can)
15-20lb tunnel bag

I have the hygear sport x package so I have most of what you do. I just don't have the hs adjustments ecept on the center shock. I think its a setup issue and not an issue of adding more parts.

I'll try pulling the limiter up one notch and then setting the rear springs and comp/rebount softer. I have the rear up kinda high on all. Maybe thats part of my problem.

thetruck454 said:
I have the hygear sport x package so I have most of what you do. I just don't have the hs adjustments ecept on the center shock. I think its a setup issue and not an issue of adding more parts.

I'll try pulling the limiter up one notch and then setting the rear springs and comp/rebount softer. I have the rear up kinda high on all. Maybe thats part of my problem.

OPPPS, I didnt read your sig. Yeah soften up that DR center spring and add compression to the rezi. Where is your preload set on the front springs?? And are the spacer/stops installed on the TR springs??

Back