• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

"Patriot electron"

I want one that is faster than any motor powered sled out there on the snow. Just need to go in a straight line! Need 5 secs of fun then drag it back to the charger
Keep the old oil burning units for the trail!
Lol

They cant make a Phone or Communicator battery hold a charge in extreme cold. I am all for it. Plenty of power but the Devil is in the details. We are not ready yet.
An interesting study from Germany about the necessary 30 day battery backup storage plans. At current costs was hundreds of trillions of dollars, as everything will be electric and the numbers are staggering.
We arent there. Not even close. I had my battery cushman modified at work...it was a blast..even rolled it once!
I just like facts, no emotion. A close friend in the local longtime respected body shop told one of our resident doctors, sorry, cannot work on his tesla, as parts are a year out, and they dont have expertise with the high voltage systems. He said dont go near the orange wires....lol!!
So until we decide to no longer supply gas, Ill be riding a turbo sidewinder. With a tow rope, not electrical cables!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220323-190453_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220323-190453_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 99
An interesting study from Germany about the necessary 30 day battery backup storage plans. At current costs was hundreds of trillions of dollars, as everything will be electric and the numbers are staggering.
We arent there. Not even close. I had my battery cushman modified at work...it was a blast..even rolled it once!
I just like facts, no emotion. A close friend in the local longtime respected body shop told one of our resident doctors, sorry, cannot work on his tesla, as parts are a year out, and they dont have expertise with the high voltage systems. He said dont go near the orange wires....lol!!
So until we decide to no longer supply gas, Ill be riding a turbo sidewinder. With a tow rope, not electrical cables!
did you read the paper? The site you got that 30 day quote from and the trillions of dollars estimate from (wattsupwiththat was the original source) is a scam artist turning controversy into clickbait, empowered with superficial knowledge and backed by the same fun folks at the heartland institute who still claim that smoking isn't bad for you, its a 3 ring circus of bad actors scamming the unwitting out of their money through donations.

A direct quote from the conclusion of the paper which was really a paper about previous papers on energy production/storage predictions. It in no way makes quotes about infeasibility, it in fact says the following.

"Conclusions. Based on our results, we conclude that focusing on short extreme events or single years can be misleading when estimating the amount of storage needed in 100% renewable electricity systems. Instead, for the example of Germany, storage requirements are defined by a 12-week or longer period of intermittent scarcity, and system planning based on average years significantly underestimates storage requirements and system costs. Despite these economic challenges and remaining technological uncertainty with a large-scale deployment of hydrogen infrastructure, the estimated necessary storage energy capacity seems feasible when compared to the current German natural gas storage capacity."

Last edited:
I take everything with a grain of salt and am a little prejudiced, having built nuclear, fossil, wind, gas turbines and generators, and with the worlds best engineers, when GE powered the world, 40 years of it. We aint there. Not even close....lol!
Like my personal war on poison ivy (dont cut firewood with hairy vines). Read an article that said increased co2 makes poison ivy grow more. Ok, then that means everything should grow more! Not a bad thing then!
Think gas is high..wait til we see our rolling brownout electric bills!
If we're still around, that is!
However, Id certainly try the yammy version...the poo one probably electrocute me!

Doubling of the use electric vehicles (nowhere near total phase out of fossil fuel vehicles) will cause world changing electricity demands that cannot be met with current capacity or handled by current grids. The competitive market pressures of the cost of electricity will make it a luxury like owning a yacht and people will have to choose between heat, hot water, refrigeration, or transportation. Batteries do not generate energy. They store energy and the cost of that storage is ~200x to cost to store energy with petrochemicals.

"Renewables" are anything but. Nowhere in the world have renewables made energy cheaper or actually really reduced carbon footprint. Wind turbines don't always turn, photovoltaics actually need those pesky photons to move the electrons.

How bout we ignore all the fossil fuel we have right here within our increasingly porous borders and ask those nice slave owners to dig deeper holes and plop some piles of those rear earth minerals we need on a giant diesel ship and send them over since we dont have the means or will to mine them ourselves. Why? Well because that mining is bad for the environment by the way.

Water has a high dielectric constant, unless your snow contains a lot of minerals, it will be an extremely poor conductor.

Where is your imagination? There is something like 173,000 TW of power hitting the earth continuously from our friend the sun.
People live in houses, most houses have more than enough roof space to host 20-30 or more solar panels. More than enough to keep your house powered and tesla charged. As far as wind goes, there is more than enough surface area. There is a lot happening in nuclear as well. Canada has 19 CANDU nuclear reactors and a new light water reactor (GE/Hitachi) being built as we speak. Germany (as an example) has targeted 80% of power from renewables by 2030, if every country did that we would be well on our way. But will your buggy take a tune... short answer, yes it will, just feed that one horsepower motivator some high sugar content race feed and off you go.

This is too funny. You sound like the viral Tik Tok going around right now of the girl crying in her Tesla when she realized she could not wash it because it was an electric car and it should not get wet. HA!

This is too funny. You sound like the viral Tik Tok going around right now of the girl crying in her Tesla when she realized she could not wash it because it was an electric car and it should not get wet. HA!

:dunno:

Doubling of the use electric vehicles (nowhere near total phase out of fossil fuel vehicles) will cause world changing electricity demands that cannot be met with current capacity or handled by current grids. The competitive market pressures of the cost of electricity will make it a luxury like owning a yacht and people will have to choose between heat, hot water, refrigeration, or transportation. Batteries do not generate energy. They store energy and the cost of that storage is ~200x to cost to store energy with petrochemicals.

"Renewables" are anything but. Nowhere in the world have renewables made energy cheaper or actually really reduced carbon footprint. Wind turbines don't always turn, photovoltaics actually need those pesky photons to move the electrons.

How bout we ignore all the fossil fuel we have right here within our increasingly porous borders and ask those nice slave owners to dig deeper holes and plop some piles of those rear earth minerals we need on a giant diesel ship and send them over since we dont have the means or will to mine them ourselves. Why? Well because that mining is bad for the environment by the way.
And solar in Alaska probably doesnt produce a whole lot for 6 months!
Wind turbines are extremely failure prone and maintenance at 2- 400 feet up is crazy. When my friend went to field work the first thing he had to learn was how to rappel off the nacell!
I personally worked on a failed ring gear and the engineer couldnt figure out why they were cracking and failing. This one was maybe 12 feet in diameter and we had to cut it up and make charpies and bend bars for mettalurgical testing at r and d. Junk!!
Like the head of the Americas Power Systems once said about even our own, 'wind blows'. lol....

Think Polaris has fire problems? Batteries are way more common.
Id like to know what happened to that ship loaded with cars, expensive cars, porshes, bentleys, and....lots of electric cars! Best guess was one of the electric cars..batteries..caught fire,and are extremely difficult to put out. Its now 2.7 miles down in Davy Jones locker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220324-105349_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220324-105349_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 90

Is that your prediction, because EV sales have been more than doubling every year. So, everyone write this down, in mid 2023 the grid will fail due to the coincidence of another doubling of EVs sold annually and doubling of the total number of EVs on the road since 2021.

We add another half million homes to the grid every year (in a bad year) in the US alone, the electrical energy consumption of each of those homes far outstrips the consumption of any EV sitting in their driveway or any EV on the road as measured by daily consumption, and EVs have improved in efficiency more than 400% over the improvements in efficiency of the rest of your household systems. You guys really need to get off of facebook.

Here is another little factoid for you. The Koch family who built their currently estimated $124 Billion in wealth being pro-oil and have vehemently funded climate denial misinformation campaigns have suddenly, personally invested almost a $1 Billion in battery technology and EV. That makes them A. The single largest private investor in EV, and B, the most high profile, pro-oil wealth fund invested in EV.

Koch brothers 2017

Koch brothers today

Your entire thesis or someone else's that you are quoting relies on the fact that utility companies don't want to improve capacity and make money selling energy to new consumers of EV transportation. What do you think the chances of that are? This whole discussion sounds like the 'video will break the internet discussion' from not so long ago. If there is money to be made big companies will find a way to make money, even folks like the koch family (pro-oil, pro-republican, pro-libertarian, anti-climate change) now are suddenly putting their own wealth behind the science - to make money. Are you really betting the grid is going to fail and none of this will work out?

Im not betting. I know. I generally wont jump into internet argument so I'm not going to respond post to post. So called renewables and the existing grid cannot handle what ill-advised political white washed carbon goals are. And they wont in reality reduce carbon emissions. They will just be moved to other industry. The penetration of electrical vehicles as a percentage of total vehicles will not double by 2023. If you have ever been to 100 Lacs in Quebec imagine what their generator and electrical service would have to be to accommodate the guests they do now. Hell imagine your own home with F350, wifes Suburban, teenager's Crosstrek, other teenagers Ranger, and your 4 electric snowmobiles, your refrigerator, your boiler, water heater, dryer, oven, lights etc. Gonna be one helluva electric service for al that. Hence huge demand hence bidding for electricity like TX or Europe in a cold spell. Its reality. It easy to predict.
Is that your prediction, because EV sales have been more than doubling every year. So, everyone write this down, in mid 2023 the grid will fail due to the coincidence of another doubling of EVs sold annually and doubling of the total number of EVs on the road since 2021.

We add another half million homes to the grid every year (in a bad year) in the US alone, the electrical energy consumption of each of those homes far outstrips the consumption of any EV sitting in their driveway or any EV on the road as measured by daily consumption, and EVs have improved in efficiency more than 400% over the improvements in efficiency of the rest of your household systems. You guys really need to get off of facebook.

Here is another little factoid for you. The Koch family who built their currently estimated $124 Billion in wealth being pro-oil and have vehemently funded climate denial misinformation campaigns have suddenly, personally invested almost a $1 Billion in battery technology and EV. That makes them A. The single largest private investor in EV, and B, the most high profile, pro-oil wealth fund invested in EV.

Koch brothers 2017

Koch brothers today

Your entire thesis or someone else's that you are quoting relies on the fact that utility companies don't want to improve capacity and make money selling energy to new consumers of EV transportation. What do you think the chances of that are? This whole discussion sounds like the 'video will break the internet discussion' from not so long ago. If there is money to be made big companies will find a way to make money, even folks like the koch family (pro-oil, pro-republican, pro-libertarian, anti-climate change) now are suddenly putting their own wealth behind the science - to make money. Are you really betting the grid is going to fail and none of this will work out?

Im not betting. I know. I generally wont jump into internet argument so I'm not going to respond post to post. So called renewables and the existing grid cannot handle what ill-advised political white washed carbon goals are. And they wont in reality reduce carbon emissions. They will just be moved to other industry. The penetration of electrical vehicles as a percentage of total vehicles will not double by 2023. If you have ever been to 100 Lacs in Quebec imagine what their generator and electrical service would have to be to accommodate the guests they do now. Hell imagine your own home with F350, wifes Suburban, teenager's Crosstrek, other teenagers Ranger, and your 4 electric snowmobiles, your refrigerator, your boiler, water heater, dryer, oven, lights etc. Gonna be one helluva electric service for al that. Hence huge demand hence bidding for electricity like TX or Europe in a cold spell. Its reality. It easy to predict.
Dont touch the orange wires!! lol!!
The simple fact is, GE, along with every other power company, could care less about how electricity is made. They are in business for one reason. To make money. And without the insane amount of government cash in subsidies, they wouldnt have touched renewables.

Back