• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer Starter wont engage?? Wiring problems?

quadtrac

Veteran
Last week I completely tore apart my 07 FX Phazer to put in a left hand side frame casting. I had the engine out as well as the entire wiring harness. After I had everything put together and the wiring all routed and plugged back in, the starter will run but doesn't engage and turn the engine over. Also when I first tried to start the sled I seen smoke come out of yellow plastic piece that almost looked like a fuse by the oil tank. I then untapped the harness and seen that one of those little black wires was kinda melted that goes into the main harness. What did I do wrong? I am really confused on this one!

If starter spins then its out of index and spinning backwards. The starter is always engaged, there is a one way clutch on starter drive gear in engine. That little yellow thing is your grounding block, all the grounds of the machine end up here. Could be something to do with your starter???????? Sending voltage through the ground????

Mine was not properly indexed, and was NOT spinning.

Form what you said about seeing smoke, it sounds like something is shorted to ground. Pull the starter off, hit the starter and check the rotation. I would cut out the piece of melted wire and splice in a new piece. If you don't you are only asking for problems later. Better to do it now than to have it not start out on a ride.

Pulled the starter off the engine and found that its spinning backwards, How could this all the sudden just happen after I worked on it? Thanks

Some how you must have reversed polaity on the wiring. the only way to make a motor run backwards is to switch the pos and neg. Recheck all connections.

Not nessisarily true, the starters have magnets that make it spin, when they get out of alignment it will make it spin backwards.

Just on a long shot, check your battery cables where they go through the frame by the bottom of the oil resivoir if you think you have a short. My positive cable was worn through to the frame!

spike337 said:
Just on a long shot, check your battery cables where they go through the frame by the bottom of the oil resivoir if you think you have a short. My positive cable was worn through to the frame!

Attachments

• jan 2009 020.jpg
    jan 2009 020.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 109
  • jan 2009 002.jpg
    jan 2009 002.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 98

Back