• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer to a viper

Thornton3280

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 yamaha phazer base
Last year was my first year with a sled which was my 08 phazer. Put on about a 1000 miles loved it but want something with just a little more snot and more modern. I'm 6'3 270 pounds after adjusting the rear suspention It felt like a well balanced machine specially with a guy my size on it. But found a 2014 turbo viper with 3400 miles. It's a xtx with a mtx skid (153) has Aero exhaust, mpi turbo kit, prologger and gems. My concern is are they reliable should there be anything I need to look for when buying. My plans are trail riding i know 153 track is long would be trying to find a skid for to make it back to a xtx. How are they compared too a phazer I know there's a big differents in power. Is a 153 too hard to trail ride?

I sure think my switch from Phazer to Viper was a HUGE upgrade for the kind of riding I do. Long trail rides. My phazer is a 121 and Viper a 129. So both trail sleds. Way more relaxing to ride handling wise. Faster for sure. The Viper your looking at is definitely more offtrail than on trail depending on track. But definitely trialable. Turbo will go like mad but will for sure be more Maintenance. For me the biggest factor would be what Turbo is on it. Who put it on and is it maintained well.

I guess the mpi turbo is just the factory turbo. I also ended up finding a xf9000 turbo all original for close the same.price and its a 137 instead of that big 153. We usually put on about 80-100 mile a ride. Is there anything you noticed that needed to be addressed before you felt comfortable on the viper

No I rode it completely stock for 1st season. Adjusting suspension to best I could get it. Viper is a much more relaxing ride and hides its speed vs a Phazer which is a sled that requires a active rider and even though it’s probably a 75 mph sled it seems faster.because your busy on it. At 3400 mi the one your looking at is due for almost everything to be gone through already. Clutches,Chaincase,Skid,Shocks and wheel bearings. Not saying anything would be bad yet but surely should at least be inspected.

Ik this is a yamaha page but are the suzuki engine in the xf9000 any good found a factory turboed one for same price and better color then the viper same mileage.

Back