• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer Weight

BBM

Extreme
How did it gain 30lbs.? I spoke to a dealer today and he told me the Certificate of Origin read 482lbs. for the Phazer FX. That's like a 30lb weight gain in 6 months. This puts the Phazer right up there with Ski-Doo and their REV 600, but the Ski-Doo 600 will have 40 more HP. This has to hurt the Phazer and its proposed top speed of 80mph. I was thinking of purchasing the Phazer but now I'm a little concerned about the performance of this sled.

Is there any other mod other then the Turbo. It just seems like $4,000.00 for a turbo to pump up the hp to around 120 is alot of money. If you think about it that phazer will cost you over $11,000.00 to make it perform like a 600. I was hoping Yamaha would keep the weight down in the lower 400lb range to help it out perform the other 500's in its class and even possibly hang in there with the 600 class. I'm not trying to rip on Yamaha, I was seriously thinking of buying a Phaser but now I have to think twice about it.

Turbo puts it in the 140-165 H.p Range ..........not 120 . These Phazers are gonna be boondocking animals especially with the turbo .The overall sharpness and quality of them will make up for your perceived problem with the weight.

Weight won't impact speed?

Try telling that to a fat guy trying to run a 4 minute mile.

jf

I think the Certificate of Origin is similar to a title for an automobile, so it wouldn't include the crate.
I could be wrong, but on another forum one individual weighed his FX with fluids and it weighed in at 505lbs.

from what I've read the phazer is supposed to stay right with a 600 class sled until 60-70 mph and it will out perform one in the tight trails. So what you're lacking is top end speed, if thats what your after the phazer is not for you, buy an apex.

FXtreme, the phazer is not as quick as a 600 0-60 what so ever. I rode one and there is no way unless they did a lot of work throughout the summer on that engine and i still wouldnt believe it. It is a good engine and feels really tourquey in and out of corners but no means a 600. Its a great little engine and performs better than most will think but it cant compete with a 120hp 600 that weighs less. Just my .02 cents.

Whoops, my bad. It's not something I've experienced, just what I've read. Somewere threw out my readings this summer someone stated that the phazer would hang with a 500-600 in low end and mid range but loses major torque and speed around 70-80 mph. So the saying goes, don't believe everything you read.

Snow Tech recently said that it feels like a 700 off the line, feels like a 600 in the midrange and feels like a 500 on the topend.
About the weight gain, Yamaha was recently quoted in one of the magazines claiming they had some durability issues with the prototypes and made some changes to address that issue which added some weight to the sled.
30 pounds is not a signifigant weight gain, IMO. I would much rathar have the sled be a little bit heavier than was claimed in the spring and have it live up to Yamaha's legendary quality and durability reputation than to have it be a weak, flimsy sled that breaks all the time.

Out of Snowest.

Ike

Attachments

• Phazer_weight.jpg
    Phazer_weight.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 755
Saw them on the scales in person. Both sleds were wet weights, meaning they had all fluids in them and ready to ride. Notice how much more the F5 weighs compared to the Phazer. The Phazer is an 80 hp sled and it suppose to match up against 500cc two smokes.
stirthepot.gif

Back