• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

pipe

I had my sled all apart two weeks ago adding and taking off things and really wanted to have a aftermarket exhaust. Not that I hate the stock one but wanted a different sound not to loud and maybe save a few pounds. But more importantly just have a custom set up. I built a chopper from the ground up two years ago and I just have a different mind set on toys now. I love custom one off stuff and just plain neat look ideas comming to reality. Thats what I have always loved about snowmobiling is the tons of after market options out there. Everyone has there good ideas and everyone can be different. I learn something new everytime I talk to a new snowmobiler when out or eating etc. Keep a good ear on you and you can always pick-up good ideas.

Anyway I looked across the garage and saw my hayabusa sitting there with Yosh stainless dual exhaust just sitting there. And since I am selling it to help pay for my new xtx I thought hey why not. So the next day I made a single to twin pipe split and made a twin yosh exhaust that fills in the whole back whole and does not look like it was made from a 12 year old and an Erector Set with the pipe not even comming out straight and some kind of cheap looking bracket to hold it on. I wanted great sound and an even better look. Yamaha is known for there fit to finish so doing something half #*$&@ just doesn't make sense. The Michigan DNR did not even bat an eye going through check points more than six times and once the guy pulled me over to the side to check out the pipes to see how I did it!!! Its awesome that anybody can do anything. I have to say also that I appreciate everyone's input and so many things. When I was a kid all I did was talk about snowmobiling and my yamaha sleds. Now I can get tips and talk with people just like me from anywhere. Thanks for this web site and for the great people on it.

XTX622Kane,
Post a pic of your pipes! I'd liek to see them! If you added a Y to the stock header you will notice that about 80% of the exhaust goes through the left side pipe, and if your cans have rubber gaskets holding the can together, you'll burn them out. My setup sounds alot like yours (my pic is on page one of this thread), and I've had a few issues with the left side pipe turning gold from the heat. I think the one drawback to bike pipes is that they arent designed to run in an enclsed, snowy environment. My pipes suffered more wear and tear in 450 miles on a sled than they did in 3 years on a bike.
If your pipes do have the rubber bands on the cans, you may need to use a long, flat band-style exhaust clamp to go around the left can covering the rubber band.

i got pics of mine i just dont know how to post on this site..
anyone have a special way of doig it or something?

I will put pics up today or tomarrow. I used a car exhaust gasket so that I would not have any heating/melting issues. The Y that I made was turned sideways a little so it might help with the spliting of the exhaust gases. I have put my hands in front of both and seamed about the same but at full throtle who knows. I have the pipes turning a little discolored between the pipes on top where the heat builds up in the middle. I did notice that the ice build up was a little better with the twins on the sled. I had a big plate over the whole hole and the exhaust just got way to hot. With the plate remove and back to stock hole pipes stay pretty cool. I do know that the pipes do get more abuse due to the higher rpms that snowmobiles run at for longer periods of time. On a motorcycle you stay in the 3000-4500 when shifting and only get in the 7000+ when on it or brief periods of time. Snowmobile runs at higher just to cruise at 55 down a trail. The sound is great and fun but the look of twins comming out the back is just priceless. Everyone at the gas stations come looking when I fill up. I have lots of pics and will post soon so you can check them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey ericmicheal....is that the pipe that john over at garys had made,i heard that on his xtx earlier this year,WOW it is loud just sitting in the driveway,i wouldve liked to hear it running down the trail or across the field,must have really rattled the brain riding it ,ya the wardens would ticket that without question,they frown on my apex with a little "weight loss" to the stock muffler and its not as loud as my buddies stock ac 600 stock triple pipes

pics didn't post, bud!

Oh yeah.. Definitely.. I also enjoy motorcycle roadracing and trackdays, so I had pipes all over my shop.. My Hindle slipped right onto the header pipe under the seat. It is a little offset at the back, but still looks great.. The sound, nothing like it.. I get thumbs up from many.. Ive actually been stopped a few times by groups that were listening to me.. Best of all, just slipped it on and still ran great. A little pop when I first deck it, but no hesitation or anything.. Very happy with it..

170plus said:
hey ericmicheal....is that the pipe that john over at garys had made,i heard that on his xtx earlier this year,WOW it is loud just sitting in the driveway,i wouldve liked to hear it running down the trail or across the field,must have really rattled the brain riding it ,ya the wardens would ticket that without question,they frown on my apex with a little "weight loss" to the stock muffler and its not as loud as my buddies stock ac 600 stock triple pipes

Yes it is...I went and picked it back up haha..going from that back to stock was just no fun..Its not too bad if your not wot...after all its a factory yamaha pipe right?? :)

Here are a couple pics of my Hindle :bling

Might be interested in selling it cause I think its to loud to run around Maine, if anyone is interested pm me or I would trade for an Ulmer k&n filter kit.

Attachments

• DSC01322.JPG
    DSC01322.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01324.JPG
    DSC01324.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 63

Back