• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pivot Arm Replacement

markt111

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
all Yamahas
has anyone had to replace their pivot arm due to wear? While pulling shocks for a rebuild and doing a good inspection I noticed the pivot arm has some metal slides that the track runs on, one of these slides is missing at this point, i am going to order a new one just never heard of this failure prior??

Attachments

• pivot arm 1.JPG
    pivot arm 1.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 145

Mine on my 16 Viper broke. Interestingly, my sons 14 has an extra set of gussets and same mileage and no sign of wear. I added them prior to installing it.

Mine were worn down to paper thin so I welded some steel in that area.
My sled does have over 20000 kms though

mine both have about 18,000 kms as well. Gusset the side that isn't as well as mine broke at the weld.

has anyone had to replace their pivot arm due to wear? While pulling shocks for a rebuild and doing a good inspection I noticed the pivot arm has some metal slides that the track runs on, one of these slides is missing at this point, i am going to order a new one just never heard of this failure
Mine were worn down to paper thin so I welded some steel in that area.
My sled does have over 20000 kms though
Mine wore down in 16,000 klms. , possibly due to my shocks losing their charge twice in 3 years, Do you have pics of the welds ?
I'm just getting ready to rebuild the suspension , and should fix this .

check out the one for the XC or XS chassy, every sled i replace the lower shock axle with the steel one from XC. once i changed my 2014 ltd to the QS3 shock... it busted the top shock mount and put shock and mount through track and into heat exchanger.... way to weak, thats why the XC is beefed up huge.

You can see where the arm broke first on the upper left side of the picture. The other side let go once it twisted. My sons 14 has gussets on both sides at the bottom from the factory. I guess they tried to save some money and weight a few years later. I also had the front air shock fail 100 miles from home so I think that contributed to the wear I had on the track guides. I now run Elka stage 5's and as Max Rolph said, upgrade the cross shaft.

Attachments

• broken scissor in suspension.JPG
    broken scissor in suspension.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 139
has anyone had to replace their pivot arm due to wear? While pulling shocks for a rebuild and doing a good inspection I noticed the pivot arm has some metal slides that the track runs on, one of these slides is missing at this point, i am going to order a new one just never heard of this failure prior??
I have (2) good used ltx front arms here with minimal wear .

I replaced mine this past fall during regular maintenance.
Their is no pivot bushings on the lower pivot.
Shaft was worn and arm was worn. Always greased it but with miles on it things wear out.
Too bad they didn't put bushings in there for wear.

you can see in the pic where mine failed, not a great pic but you'll get the point..

Attachments

• PA 1.jpg
    PA 1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 130

Back