• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Plowing snow with a ATV

MNattaker

Hi all, I am new here although I have been active on the TY sled forums for years (user sinjin). I am thinking of buying a ATV to be used primarily for plowing snow. I have about a 500 foot paved drive. I have been using a garden tractor with blower, but just traded that on a zero turn mower. Question is how well do ATV's work for plowing snow. What size/shape blade works best?? Is a winch the best way to go to raise and lower??? Any help would be appreciated. Looking at getting a used ATV probably a kodiak or Grizz. anyone have one for sale???? Can't afford new and it really won't be used for much except plowing the snow and working around the yard. Thanks in advance for your help.

We use ATVs for clearing out driveways and they are the fastest way to get the job done.
As for what size blade, Id go with a 60" if you get a Grizz.

manual up and down is the best. using the winch you get a big cable snarl over time.

pretty much any of the 4x4 bikes is good for pushin snow although those with the difflock push harder when it is engaged. guy i know only uses the lock when he has a full blade of wet snow that his bike wont push in normal 4x4. just make shure when you do the 1st push of the season that you push the banks far enough back that you have room for the entire winters snowfalls or you will have to get the banks pushed by someone with a p/u or a loader of some kind.

Agreed with the above replies. ;)!

One other thing to note is you won't believe how fast you can clear snow compared to the time it took with your garden tractor/snow blower. :D

I change out the long winch line for an 8ft one when I use the plow. No tangles or frayed line that way. I do want to get a look at the manual lift that bolts on the rack, that might be easier in the long run.

I had a 48" plow on my wolverine and it worked great. My Dad still uses it. You would be surprised how much you can push with an ATV. Much faster than a snow blower. I put a 3 ft cable on the winch for plowing that way you aren't wrecking your good cable. I just swapped it out when the snow melted.

I had a 2000 Polaris Xplorer 250 4x4 with a 48" plow that did a great job. I now have that same plow on my 03 Kodiak 450 4x4 and that works great also.

Plowing snow with an ATV is a blast! :D :D :D

I have the 48in plow also. Some of the places I plow are uneven and I don't think a 60in would work as good. It only takes one or two extra passes with the 48.

I have a 02 Grizzly with a plow and warn winch that I'm selling if you are interested. I live in the rogers, mn area.

I have a 60" blade on mine V-Plow six different angles works really nice pushes a lot of snow in a hurry ;)!

I hate to steal the thread, but could anybody suggest one plow over another? Are they all pretty much the same in construction/quality? I am looking to buy a plow this fall too for my Grizz. Thanks for any advice!

I had a Moose plow. I thought the construction of it was very sound and thought it was a quality product. I have seen and have freinds that have Tusk and Warn plows. I'm not impressed them because the thickness of the steel for the plow it self is thinner. It just seems cheaper to me. Not as heavy duty. They work fine for them, just some of my observations.

My .02

Back