• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Potential New Customer -Your Thoughts Are Appreciated-

Kiafoulis

Hey There,
I have been scouring the Internet, and the Yamaha web site, to learn as much as I can about the Vector and RX-1. I'm glad I came across this website - it seems to the top forum for Yamaha discussion.

I currently own a 2003 Arctic Cat F7, prior to that I owned only Ski-Doo's (MXZ 800, MXZ 583, etc.). Now I think it goes without saying that the F7 is a very strong sled; this is by far the fastest machine I have ever owned. When I say fastest, I mean acceleration. The handling is OK, not quite flat as my MXZ 800, so your forced to either slow down in corners or hang your body way out - which after a while gets annoying.

So - Can you tell me if I'm barking up the right tree (Vector), due to it being lighter than the RX-1, and the more nimble feeling of the suspension/machine? More importantly, I assume that the Vector is not nearly as fast as the F7, but torque has to account for something, so it must be a pleasure from corner to corner. Anyone race an F7??? Keep in mind I don’t need to go 110 mph, I like good weight transfer (wheelie popping) when I punch it and acceleration from corner to corner.

I'm sorry for the book that I wrote, but it's very important to me that I get the opinions of those people that own the machine rather than a dealer who will obviously have a biased opinion. Your thoughts are appreciated, and thank you for your help!

Welcome! You will not find another site as good as this for information on Yamaha RX/RS snowmobiles. :rocks:

All I know is:

It will be damn hard to go back to a two-stroke again. I can still appreciate a tripple, but after having a 4-stroke, it's tough. I have yet to ride an F-7, I hear they're quick. I'm probably THE worst one on here for bashing the RX-1 and Yamaha - eventhough I actually OWN one. But after getting my RX-1 dialed-in and going 136" ripsaw, I absolutely love it. After finally getting the kinks worked-out, and speculating on what Yamaha has next, I'm very supportive and excited about Yamaha's line of 4-stroke snowmobiles.

If you're a ditch-banger, the '06 offerings may intrigue you. If you're more of a trail rider, you can't go wrong with anyone of the RX or RS models, even if they're used ones. If you're a lake racer then get an RX. IMHO: The 136" perform and look the best overall. Weight isn't really an issue unless you get one stuck, and I suspect that will soon be a retired argument.

With any sled, just make sure you test-drive one before you buy it to be sure it's what you want. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the 4-stroke though. :yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

I own a warrior and have rode the Vector...

It is a awsome sled... light feeling and ride and handling is awsome!!!

its about as fast as a F6 maybe faster depending on conditons...

Im not all that impressed with the F7... Ya its fast but sucks gas and oil like crazy... and i dont like the ride or the handling...

I absolutely love my Vector! The power and torque of this sled is absolutely amazing. If you say you like "corner to corner" I can almost guarantee that you'd be more than satisfied with an RS. Raising the skis isn't a problem. The low end and mid range pull of the 120 hp Genesis is awe inspiring. No it won't have the topend of the RX sleds, but topend on its own isn't why one buys an RS sled. However the sled is easily capable of breaking the centry mark.

I've riden a buddies F7, and there's no doubt they're fast. But after switching to a 4 stroke, I couldn't believe how much vibration there was, and how loud it seemed. I really can't imagine going back to a 2 stroke again. Throw in the great gas milege and the lack of having to add oil, only adds to the attractiveness of the over all package.

I couldn't be happier with my choice. :4STroke: Good luck with yours. ;)!

Thanks so far for your replies!

Yeah I would have to say the handling is a bit jittery on the F7, I presume from what I've read, as well as your comments that the Yamaha's will be better.

Anyone else out there with some words of wisdom.

I've had some issues with my vector more to do with my dealer and my own lack of knowledge with wrenching. But I can say that the sled handles extremly well on the trails and up to about 70 mph. it will hang with anything out there. Great fuel milage- and all in all a great sled with a nice ride and smooth handling.

I'm a huge fan of my RS Rage! I LOVE the long track. It has unbelivible hookup. It's also great off trail. It all depends on the type of riding though! I ride on mostly strait trails. I've also heard that a clutched RS can beat an F7.

Just my thoughts. Take them or leave them.

Probably an 05 f7 they are slower than the 03-04s. Your not going to touch an 03 f7 unless it blows up in the race.lol

RSRAGER
Clutching - Do you notice a big differance in aftermarket clutching on the Vector?

My experience has been that aftermarket clutching on my Ski-Doo's wasn't that big of a differance, although the clutching on my F7 made a noticeable differance.

Sounds like if you invest a little bit of money into the Vector it could be a screamer.

I had an 04 F7 last year and now I have a Vector. I can ride the Vector all day without getting tried of it. With the F7 I was ready to be done after about 80 miles. As for the power, I feel the Vector pull from a stop or out of a corner just as hard as my F7. As for top-end, if its a hard pack road or lake with no loose snow it will hit the triple digits right now and keep pulling. Where I notice it being down on power is if the trail has a couple of inches of loose snow on it, then after about 80 it stops pulling. The ride quality is very good and the handling is great. You should check out the 06's that will be out this week. Also, go to a demo ride and try them all out. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

For the RX-1 vs Vector decision...

Find a Yamaha demo-fest and go ride em. I did. The folks were really helpful and friendly. And you can ride and decide for your self. No pressure, no hassle.

I'm defintely going to ride them sometime in the coming weeks.

Vector1 - Thanks for your input, that really helps to here from a guy that actually owned the F7.

Kiafoulis,

Sorry, I mis lead you. I don't have a Vector I have a Rage and and it is not clutched. My Rage is Stock except for Simmons Flex ski's. I wish it was clutched. The rage and vector have crazy torque and adding a better clutch would be awsome. Just think of the money you would save on fuel, oil, and repairs.

Come to the BLUE!

I owned mxz 700's.I just bought a 04f6efi sno pro in november and already traded in afyer 800 miles on a vetor.The vector will out run poo 600's and I beat a mxz 700.The vector is by far better handling than the fircat and is a lot better quality buildt than the f series sleds.You can also adjust the vector to lift the ski's.And yes it does feel light they carve nice in the powder.

Thumper1000 said:
Probably an 05 f7 they are slower than the 03-04s. Your not going to touch an 03 f7 unless it blows up in the race.lol

05 F7s are every bit as fast as the 03 and 04... they have the bugs worked out and make more power at reliable levels.. Lots of testing has been done.... some of the 05s make as much as 150hp

Back