• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Power steering

Carpet Guy

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha sidewinder
Has anyone pit one on a sidewinder and if so does it make a difference and who sells the kits ,thanks

I just installed a GSE power steering kit on a 2018 Sidewinder XTX. Easy install, great fit. Seems to work well on cement/grass/gravel. No chance to actually ride it. Appears well made/engineered. You would never know it was an add on by the look of it.

The Barn of parts kit works great and doesent add any weight and is adjustable. Very nice kit for the price.

The Barn of parts kit works great and doesent add any weight and is adjustable. Very nice kit for the price.

But one drawback of the BOP arms is the huge bump steer it introduces to the front end. Where I noticed it was the smooth groomed trails as the front suspension stroked thru its travel, it made the front end twitchy as all get out and I needed a death grip on the bars as I never knew which way it was wanting to go.

Worked well and definitely made the steering easier however, and bump steer not noticeable on looser snow conditions, just makes the sleds steering twitchy and handling much less precise.

I ended up removing the BOP steering arms to get the precise zero bump steer factory handling and precise steering back.

I have the kit on A 2014 viper LTX and have it set in the closest to spindle setting hole which I found for me,to be the best setting for closest to stock handle bar feeling with A little bit of reduced steering effort. On the furthest hole from spindle the turning radius is reduced to much for my tastes. With that being said,I really like the kit for ease of adjustment,reduced effort and price. just my 2 cents FWIW

But one drawback of the BOP arms is the huge bump steer it introduces to the front end. Where I noticed it was the smooth groomed trails as the front suspension stroked thru its travel, it made the front end twitchy as all get out and I needed a death grip on the bars as I never knew which way it was wanting to go.

Worked well and definitely made the steering easier however, and bump steer not noticeable on looser snow conditions, just makes the sleds steering twitchy and handling much less precise.

I ended up removing the BOP steering arms to get the precise zero bump steer factory handling and precise steering back.

I have seen your posts regarding the bump steer for awhile now and opted to just keep quiet to see if any others felt the same. I can honestly say you are still the only one in several hundred kits sold that has seemed to have an issue. I have several big reputable Yamaha dealers that tested and now sell and install kits as well. By no means am I discrediting you as no product suits everyone, but I am really baffled as to why your sled responded so different. You are only one that insisted on keeping the straight tie rods which will bind on bulkhead so my huntch is binding may be reason for your issues.

Has anyone pit one on a sidewinder and if so does it make a difference and who sells the kits ,thanks
Yes, I too would like to hear feedback from anyone who has used the Power Steering kit from gseperformance.
Looks like a great idea for those high mileage days, and its from a TY4 vendor!
POWER-STEERING-KIT-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen your posts regarding the bump steer for awhile now and opted to just keep quiet to see if any others felt the same. I can honestly say you are still the only one in several hundred kits sold that has seemed to have an issue. I have several big reputable Yamaha dealers that tested and now sell and install kits as well. By no means am I discrediting you as no product suits everyone, but I am really baffled as to why your sled responded so different. You are only one that insisted on keeping the straight tie rods which will bind on bulkhead so my huntch is binding may be reason for your issues.

Travis, I may the only one that detected it, I'm kind of a freak that way, or maybe the only one that runs Snowtrackers with them, we know how aggressive Snowtrackers want to steer and need zero toe, but I honestly saw the same effect using Deuce bars also. We also ride very hard, fast and more aggressively than most others, and with a faster pace it will be more noticeable. It has nothing to do with the stock straight tie rods at all I know that, I never have had the rods hit any part of the bulkhead ever, there are no marks, nicks or dings on the tie rods anywhere, I also never ran them in the most extreme and easiest setting position, only in position two.

I didn't want the bent tie rods as I know when bending them, they loose strength and will be more prone to bending and flexing, and I did not want that. I know I lost the precise factory steering and handling, bump steer got real bad with them in place because of the change in geometry. If the toe changes with bump steer, the front end gets twitchy, which is exactly what I noticed. I did however notice the the easier steering too, so they work as they were designed that way.

Stock steering offers only 1/32" toe out when setting sled on the ground from off the ground with zero toe, so what I'd consider no bump steer. With BOP arms installed and zero toe off the ground it goes to 3/4" toe out when just sat on the ground. Push down on the front end and it goes even further to over 1" toe out. I believe to correct it, the arms would need a step built in to get them back to the same plane as stock, but I can't confirm that as it would need to be tested still to see if it affects the bump steer. I'm not going to bother as I never felt mine steered hard stock, and the Snotrackers I run on my Pilots make it steer even easier.

I really noticed the ill handling with the arms installed on a nice groomed trail as the suspension went thru its travel up front. Without the arms it tracks straight and true without the ill handling tracking issues caused from bump steer and excessive toe changes.

If you run in loose snow you'd never be the wiser, but on good hardpack or good groomed its quite noticeable, both the bump steer and the easier steering.

Last edited:
I have the bop kit and snowtrackers as well. No issues. Running it closest to the pin this past winter as the other lost too much turning radius
I have a 20 tcat ordered and have the gse power steering kit in my garage for fall install
Review to follow likely January

Just get a 160lb front track shock spring, crank it a bit, and it will feel like power steering. Best $100 youll spend on this sled. Your sled will even feel faster because it will actually transfer and have a chance at getting some traction.

Back