• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Priamry removal/installation question

Geezer

Someone recently told me that using an impact gun to remove and install a primary can take out the crank bearings. Any truth to that? If so I've been lucky for years.

Can't hurt the crank on an RX-1. But, I would think the impact can't help the gears from the crank to the primary's shaft. I guess it would depend on how well and where you backed up the primary to keep it from turning and transferring the shock to the crank. Used to use an impact wrench on my ZR's to, until I went through two cranks. Not sure that was the cause. But after a couple $K in repairs, you tend to baby the things, until you get rid of them.

i know that is the way our local dealer takes them off. finds the puller , hits it with the air gun and you give him $10....

Never use an impact on any puller or installer. I learned that in collage, my pullers all look like brand new, and I've had some since the mid 60"s. You can damage what ever you are pulling against, plus the puller. I also put a small amount of grease on the end of the primary puller, and a drop of oil on the threads.

rx1mtn,

Most techs never apply any lube and wounder why thier pullers fail. I am in the Tool Business and see this daily and coach these techs every time I get a chance. I guess they just like to wear out and break tools and complain when they do. I agree with your comments 100%.

I use the muscle approach on this one.

First I take off the secondary clutch, then I lock the primary from rotating by putting in a steel bar long enough to go in between the towers in the primary and out the back and onto the jack shaft. I use a socket and an old style socket wrench to remove the primary bolt. I install the clutch puller, and
with both my hands I rotate the wrench until the primary pops, luckily I am a strong guy LOL so it works for me.

One installation I tighten the primary bolt to 12 kgs metric, loosen it and re-tighten it to 6 kgs metric.

Back