• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Price Comparisons between US vs. CA

slast

Extreme
Can someone explain to me why after the loonie has been at par or better for quite some time now, and is projected to remain there for the near future, why Canadians are still getting fleeced by all the manufacturers? Is it that we are used to paying the higher prices so we are easy suckers for them?

It sure makes me wonder how many more people in Canada would buy their products if the prices on the new iron was even remotely competitive to US pricing.

Unfortunately I don't see this changing until we stop buying new, and the manufacturers know that we never will so they will keep stickin it to us without any lube i guess.

Very frustrated and disappointed.

I feel the same way. I guess the Canadian market is relatively small compared to the U.S. market for all of Yamaha products ie: accessories, boats, motors, atv's and sleds(maybe not sleds so much). I believe Yamaha is subsidizing the U.S. market because of their weak dollar and the prospect of future business when their economy turns around. Many other foreign companies as well have not raised their prices when dealing with the U.S.. We do however have a say when we choose not to buy in Canada, but that only hurts our retailers. The Canadian retailers must start standing up for us and pass our disgust and unwillingness to buy Canadian onto the manufacturers. I'm afraid this problem will not be solved overnight or on this website.

I guess with all the mayhem happening around the world, the price of sleds is pretty insignificant unless you're in the market for one.

For the sake of curiosity:

2012 Nytro MTX 153": $15,849 Cdn, $12,499 USD.

You can get a turbo added on for $1500 US, but it doesn't look like Canadians have that option.

Canada:

EARLY DEPOSIT PROGRAM
Don't pay until March 2012
Up to $400 Yamabucks
3 years of Yamaha Warranty
Free Yamalube Oil Change Kit
Free Snowmobile Cover

US:
no payments, no interest for 6 months
3 yr warranty
(up to) $800 customer cash
and a Klim jacket

Break out the Yamalube...

Thrasher well put!!! You should run for office. It does suck that we pay more for our items in Canada. I have bought a 2010 Dodge ram a 2010 Honda Insight (wife) and a 2011 Apex XTX all from local dealers. It is very disheartening that if I had have purchased them south of the border I could have got more toys with the same amount of money. I guess it is good to stimulate our economy but the poor American dollar also greatly effects our tourism (I live in a tourism town) last summer we saw a great decline in the area. Enough about that, It would be nice to see companies step up to the plate and offer fair pricing (BRP is the worst) I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY and if I feel that I am getting better value I would part with it much easier. While we are at it lets talk about the difference in fuel prices!! Why can I get Canadian lumber cheaper in the states? The list goes on and on and on and on

The problem with the the idea of buying from the US, is twofold.

1- Will the manufacturer allow US dealers to sell to Canadians and thereby impact their CA dealer sales? I know some manufacturers do not allow this

2- If you were able to secure a sled from the US, would the manufacturer warranty be honoured in CA. I believe there are issues with this as well.

So we really are getting the shaft, and it's probably why I will not be being a new machine in the near future or ever, when I can buy a used sled or left over stock from the US for a HUGE discount. As for the CA dealers, they should be screaming at the head office execs every time they lose a sale in such a manner if they want to help effect change in the industry.

Adn as thrasher said, this issue goes beyond the recreational sports industry. It applies to all industries. But the higher the CA dollar climbs, the more people will shop in the US. Times are tough and we need to make our dollars go as far as they can.

slast said:
As for the CA dealers, they should be screaming at the head office execs every time they lose a sale in such a manner if they want to help effect change in the industry.

My local Ski-Doo dealer did just that and was demanding to know why we were getting bent over. The BRP guy gave him a couple lines that my dealer debunked as BS and finally just said "because that's what Canadians will pay".

Time will tell, I guess, but I'm not paying that...

Hi ho hi ho, off to the US I go. If they won't sell it to me, i won't buy it. And for those who are worried about the process of buying and importing to CA, I know some people who had done it, and they have explained the process to me. They swear the process is a lot easier than our dealers and manufacturers will lead us to believe. But that makes sense cause after all they want us to buy local.

My thoughts are exactly in line with what the BRP guy told your dealer squirrel. Canadians are willing to pay that price cause we are accustomed to those numbers. So again i will say, DON'T BUY NEW! Unless you taking it up the rear without any lube!

I'm looking for a lightly used US model. My father drives up from Florida a couple times a year. He's always bringing stuff across...Bikes, furniture, cabinets, flooring, appliances, trailers (wicked deals in Georgia). A year old Nytro is basically half of a new Canadian one.

Just check this out! 1 Phazer, 1 Nytro, with, and already in, a trailer. $12,000! that means 10,000 Cash money.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/rvs/2203924466.html

3k23p03l05W65X15R4b2854e4c1c8ccaf18a6.jpg

3n33p03oa5T35Q25W4b280d73c0ab90fa1b8e.jpg

Does the price gouging not piss off everyone else like it does me, or are people numb to it and accept taking it up the pooper?

In Canada we need to pay a little more on a lot of import products to help pay for our Free (HA,HA) health care system, but it is gone to far.

Roz said:
In Canada we need to pay a little more on a lot of import products to help pay for our Free (HA,HA) health care system, but it is gone to far.

Would that not be in the taxes and not the MSRP?

Are Ski-Doo's not still made in Quebec anyway?
I know of someone who tried to purchase a couple of BRP quads from the US and save about 20%. The story he got from the dealer was that headquarters was onto the cross-border shoppers and was threatening to revoke their license if they sold to Canadians.

How about books. Canadian published books by Canadian authors in Canadian stores and there is still a US/CAN price discrepancy. Lets not even talk about fuel prices.

On the flip side, I just used the strong dollar to my advantage and ordered some custom motorcycle riding gear from the US. The Euro and Pound especially are relatively low compared to the past too.

greenthumb said:
Roz said:

Would that not be in the taxes and not the MSRP?

Are Ski-Doo's not still made in Quebec anyway?
I know of someone who tried to purchase a couple of BRP quads from the US and save about 20%. The story he got from the dealer was that headquarters was onto the cross-border shoppers and was threatening to revoke their license if they sold to Canadians.
How about books. Canadian published books by Canadian authors in Canadian stores and there is still a US/CAN price discrepancy. Lets not even talk about fuel prices.

On the flip side, I just used the strong dollar to my advantage and ordered some custom motorcycle riding gear from the US. The Euro and Pound especially are relatively low compared to the past too.

That is true, heard that plenty of times when talking ATV's.

What pees me off most about that, is that me and everyone else in Canada paid for their bail out recovery, more than once :o|

As Canadians, we have to be careful, you can get better deals in the U.S that is for sure but the more we do that the more frequent our local dealers will go out of business, then what?

IMO they have us by the short and curlies and between a rock and a hard place, the more we buy the less likely chance they will ever reduce their prices ;):D

I know it is far from where it should be but some of yamahas sled prices dropped in Canada and not in the US.

Trick is to find a good dealer and have a good relationship with them. This goes a long way and they often offer to knock $ off the price when they can.

For example i bought slydog skis and he threw in the mounting kit. 30$ not a big deal but enough to get me to buy it from my local dealer. Same with the helmet I just bought. Went to pay and the guy said not to worry about the tax even though he already had the sale.

Just saying its not all bad, the little things that keep me buying from my local dealer.

Was visiting on ArcticChat forums, and it appears as though there is some traction amongst sledders to boycott purchasing a sled in 2012 to protest the pricing discrepancies between the US and CA. They are even going so far as to suggest filing an anti-trust complaint.

Is anyone here considering this course of action?

Back