• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Price Comparisons between US vs. CA

Yes sled dog you are correct.... 13% is the fed/prov. taxes... so technically there is no duty... but with most items the government still charges the 5% tax(duty...) witch is the federal portion of the taxes... all i'm saying as you most know.... even tho we buy cross border its still the same in tax money... just alot less because of pricing.

It has gotten so bad here (we are on the US border) that dealers tell us flat out "go buy it in the US, we will still service it for you". My Yamaha dealer trimmed his price on an 11 Apex XTX to where he was making $50. Fifty freaking dollars. And it was still $15650 compared to the MRSP of $14400 in the US. BRUTAL.
I'm lucky I have a good dealer that services my used sleds I buy in the US. He understands that at least I'm buying parts and service from him.
And the government is making out fine. When I buy a used sled in the US I pay BOTH taxes (5% at the border and 8% when I register it )
But like others have said, I guess we are used to it. I'm fortunate enough to live close to the border where I can access the lower prices. And before you question my patriotism, consider this. I watch a tanker truck dump a load of fuel at a local gas station. They charge $1.30 a litre or $4.94 per US gallon. I follow the same truck 2 miles into the US where he fills their tanks. They charge $3.86 a gallon. I could go on and on about lumber etc but we all get the point.

I live in a border town also. I Enter the US every week or two weeks mainly for gas but I do get other stuff. I save at least $30-$45 in gas every 2 weeks. I usually get a case of beer $16 (us) Canada $39. I am buying a lot more things in the States because at the end of the day it's how far I can stretch my wallet. As for our Health Care the government makes enough money to cover our Health Care through taxing our beer and gas. It's all the other BS they waste money on. I do feel sorry about the retailers on the Canadian side.

Back