• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary roller bushing

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
Where can you go to get a good replacement bushing for the factory primary rollers?
Ty....
IMG_20230515_145606343_copy_1536x2048.jpg

how many miles on that bushing?

Well Doc I'll give you my experience with the sidewinder primary.
The roller wear will get worse even to the point of one set of rollers a weekend.
Yamaha old bushings, new style bushings and TP rollers would not hold up over a single weekend.
I have a brand new set of G force rollers on the shelf for it but never installed.
I went with a Nytro primary.
I chased clutching on my sled.
Tried setups that others were using and wouldn't work for me.
I had very inconsistent clutching with the sidewinder primary. Its junk.
When I switched over to the older four stroke yamaha primary my clutching issues went away.
Been on the same set of rollers for the last couple of seasons running 270-300 tunes.
I even offered my clutch to Jared Smith for r and d but he didn't want it.

Thunder products works well for me.
I see TP sells two different bushings. I'll give them a call.
Any advise as to removal from roller with basic hand tools?Ugh! Thanx Brendan
Well Doc I'll give you my experience with the sidewinder primary.
I went with a Nytro primary.
When I switched over to the older four stroke yamaha primary my clutching issues went away.
Yes, I've been reading up on this and understand.
Going to go with rollers this season, and will prepare for the inevitable.
You say Nitro clutch, will Apex primary or others work as well?
I only ask so I can source the correct primary.
Is there a year that is better than others?
Thanx Tim

Apex, fx nytro, and rs vector clutches will all work on sidewinder.
The difference in those clutches is some have set screws for the roller pins and some don't.
Good luck in your search.
Thunder Products clutching also builds and sells the older primary clutch. All brand new parts.

Last edited:
Apex, fx nytro, and rs vector clutches will all work on sidewinder.
The difference in those clutches is some have set screws for the roller pins and some don't.
Good luck in your search.
Thunder Products clutching also builds and sells the older primary clutch. All brand parts.
I assume we want the set screws?

The nytro clutch i am running does not have them.
I think it's more of a personal preference.
For replacement rollers for sidewinder clutch try the g force rollers.

I've been using G force wider rollers. I like their weights also. Waiting for guys to rack up miles to get feed back.
I haven't been switching out clutches as I'm not seeing rapid roller wear issues.
I do split the clutches with miles and change out worn spider slides and shim as necessary.
I also grind down the end of the roller pin so it doesn't hammer back and forth as much.

I've been using G force wider rollers. I like their weights also. Waiting for guys to rack up miles to get feed back.
I haven't been switching out clutches as I'm not seeing rapid roller wear issues.
I do split the clutches with miles and change out worn spider slides and shim as necessary.
I also grind down the end of the roller pin so it doesn't hammer back and forth as much.
Agree....this is my first worn bushing in 4200miles. So I'm not completely ready to give up on the factory primary.
Last season was torture on them. I'm hopeful this next season will yield less abuse.
I want to R&R bushing itself with TP bushing. Being a fiber bushing, I'm not exactly sure how much they can take.
In the end, during testing, It's probably more cost-effective to beat up on these TP bushings.
If that makes any sense....
Surprisingly, my clutches seem to be in very good shape.
Which I attribute to my natural riding style of taking it easy.
Thanx 74Nytro

If you go with the fiber bushings make sure to press them in straight and no hammering.
Don't want to damage them during install.
Here is a picture of the g force rollers with bronze bushing.

Attachments

• 36896.jpeg
    36896.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 44
If you go with the fiber bushings make sure to press them in straight and no hammering.
Don't want to damage them during install.
Here is a picture of the g force rollers with bronze bushing.
Good looking!
Tim....any secrets to remove bushing from roller using typical homeowner hand tools? Hmmm?!?!

Got it.
Again.... Just using them for testing purposes.
IMG_20230516_123649949_copy_932x840.jpg

Last edited:

Back