• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

pto seal failure

mr.

blew a belt which took out the oil seal behind the primary anyone know if i can just change a seal from the outside or what the fix is?

Behind the clutch there is a cover that can be removed that the seal is pressed into.

I haven't changed one, but I don't think it would be all that difficult.

thanks so far the parts fiche doesnt show a seal just an o ring for the cover, when i popped the clutch off there was a metal ring which would have belonged to the seal.so far looks like you have to replace the shaft to get the seal?

I had a look at the parts fiche and have to agree - I can't figure it out either and don't see a specific seal part number.

For certain I know when a PTO seal starts to leak under warranty that all they change is the seal itself. I also know they unbolt the cover to do it.

The cover I've seen removed for this job is shown in the fiche under "Crankcase Cover 1". It is the lower of the two covers on that fiche page.

Hopefully this isn't one of those things where the seal is only available for warranty jobs, but you have to replace the entire output shaft assembly when it is out of warranty.

I think I've semi figured out my confusion.

The seal I've seen replaced was on an 05 RX-1. I don't know if the design changed or if simply the availability of parts changed, but if you compare the RX-1 to the Apex, the RX-1 has a separate seal you can purchase, but with the Apex there isn't an exploded view for the output shaft.

See images below:

Attachments

• New Output Shaft Seal.gif
    New Output Shaft Seal.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 912
  • Output Shaft Seal.gif
    Output Shaft Seal.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 761
I would think that the seal is PROBABLY interchangeable between 05 and 06+. The only part that should be different is the gear itself. The picture still shows that the PTO unit can be disassembled, ie parts 21 and 22 on that picture suggest that it comes apart in the same way. If its NOT the same, then take the measurements and get a generic seal.

The pictures look odd to me.

It looks like the bearing installs inside the housing shown with the bolt installing into it.

If the bearing does install inside that with the 05, then it looks like they've added a second bearing on the outside of that housing on the 06+ sleds and no longer have a stand-alone seal.

Maybe someone who has taken apart an Apex motor can comment and set us straight?

keep the info coming fellas the shaft is 600 bucks and snow doesnt last forever. anyone know of a yamaha tech line contact number.

The exact same thing happen to me in the first few weeks of owning my 03 RX. I don't recall particulars but I do remember that everything was self-explanatory once I got the cover behind the primary removed. Seems like it was less than a 1/2-hour job.

I pulled it apart, inventoried seals and gaskets, and then ordered parts as opposed to trying to guess what I needed up front. Sorry if I am not much help.

There is actually quite a bit more to my story but you can check out the posts if interested.

The rx-1 countershaft is completly different from the apex shaft. There is no seperate seal number for the apex and it uses a sealed bearing unit. Anyone ever have the apex countershaft out? Can it be removed without removing the motor and the crank? Can you remove the top of the breather cover where the countershaft gear and chain is to hold the chain while pulling out the countershaft? There must be someone that knows here please help out.

lowmark said:
The rx-1 countershaft is completly different from the apex shaft. There is no seperate seal number for the apex and it uses a sealed bearing unit. Anyone ever have the apex countershaft out? Can it be removed without removing the motor and the crank? Can you remove the top of the breather cover where the countershaft gear and chain is to hold the chain while pulling out the countershaft? There must be someone that knows here please help out.

I had to rebuild my motor last summer....i took alot of pics,not sure if these will help...the countershaft can come out without removing crank,but im not sure you can get side cover off without pulling motor....the countershaft isnt as easy to remove as it may look....it has the pump chain running off it too.

the end bearing is pressed onto the countershaft if I recall correctly,not even sure if they can be separated....you should post some pics of what yours looks like...i cant see how you could hurt that bearing with belt,but i spose anything is possible.

all i can do is show you some pics....maybe these will help.

Dan

Attachments

• DSC00720.JPG
    DSC00720.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC00719.JPG
    DSC00719.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC00718.JPG
    DSC00718.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC00484.JPG