• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quick clutch question

BordnBill

Expert
I was reading an older thread the other day, and it has something to do with the noisy clutch. I was looking at my primary today, and notice that the bolts and nuts that hold the rollers on are somewhat loose. Not loose like you can turn the nut by hand, but it having some play in it. Is this normal? I assume this is what is causing the rattling noise? I placed a small #10 Nylon washer in there, and their is still some play. It seems like I can only tighten it down to a certain poiint too, and still has play. 2 of the 3 I can tighten down, with no play, and I assume this is ok too as long as the roller still rolls? I ended up taking out the nylon washers because I wasn't sure about the whole play in the bolt thing. Plus the nylon washers just got crushed in between the nut and clutch and caused it to break a little, so that's another reason I didn't keep the washers in there. What is the reason for the play? And when placing the nuts back on, do you recommend some locktite?

lots of us have tried fixing things...It is inside the spider area, you have to have the spider pulled, then put a .020 shim in there...or just deal with it...It does not hurt anything, just annoying...

it is the spacer, my guess is, if you put a micrometer on the three of them, one is slightly longer...

So, the bolt goes through the sleeve, that sleeve is slightly longer...

but that is just a guess...

It's the weirdest thing. I was just cleaning things up and noticed the bolt had some play in it. I tried tightening it down all the way so their was no play, but you have to wrench on it pretty hard, and didn't feel comfortable doing that. I place a nylon washer in all three, and out of all 3, only one had that play left. All 3 rollers still moved freely though. I decided to take out the washers thinking that if they belonged, then Yamaha would have installed them.

well, not all manufacturers have all their stuff figured out...that is what the aftermarket is for...

that being said, I would not toque those beyond spec.

i used washers from Canadian tire, they are a washer with rubber on one side.i will post a picture when i get home. tried to post pictures but it will not let me

It seems that are set screws on the weight side but the roller side there is nothing, correct? Yamaha has had the same setup for quite a while but the only noise is from the tripple 4 stroke. Engine harmonics are supposedly the problem. I've had a Vector and a Nytro and have never seen any ware from viberation so I quit worring about it although it is annoying.

After I removed all the foam from inside my hood, The clutch noise was all i heard. It is still the loudest noise comming from the front of my sled..Definately very noisy at low rpms. gets drown out at high rpms..

Exactly... sounds loud at idle. I removed all the foam from mine as well. Once on the throttle, sound isn't really heard. Certain RPMs on the trail I can hear it, but I will just give it more throttle.

Back in the mid/late 1990s when the YVX clutches first came out, they use to have set screws for the roller pins like they do in the weight pins.
The early clutches were prone to wearing the roller bushings in one spot. Then the roller would no longer "roll" on the weight and quickly wear the weight out.
I "think" that Yamaha stopped using set screws in the the roller pins to help extend roller bushing life. Seems like the rollers last much longer in the newer clutches, that do not use set screws for the roller pins.
Or at least thats my theory anyway!
The trade-off is the harmonics of the 3 cylinder four stroke cause them to rattle.

If your roller bolts are moving, you don't have the set screws tight that hold the roller shaft in place. Your bolts should be bottomed out on the roller shaft and set screws tight on the roller shaft. With those two steps completed your roller bolts/roller shaft should not move.

woodsrider said:
If your roller bolts are moving, you don't have the set screws tight that hold the roller shaft in place. Your bolts should be bottomed out on the roller shaft and set screws tight on the roller shaft. With those two steps completed your roller bolts/roller shaft should not move.

Not disagreeing with you, but it seems from what I have read, the bolts have a little play in them. In order to bottom out the bolts, I would have to wrench on the nut pretty hard for it to make contact with the clutch. Not feeling comfortable doing that.

It doesn't seem to be an easily solvable problem on the triple 4 stroke. It's the harmonics and the internal splined coupling in the engine that cause the clutch to rattle.....from both the roller pins and the spider/moveable sheave clearances.

I misled you, the weights have the set screws that lock the shaft. The rollers do not have set screws but the cap screw and nut, that retain the roller shaft, bottom out against the the roller shaft and will not bottom against the clutch spider. Sorry for the confusion.

Back