• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive gear play?

HUS457

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper S-TX-DX - Traded
2023 Sidewinder LTX-GT
Hey everyone, how much play is tolerable in the drive gear? It’ll wobble 1/16th” side to side. About 15k on a 2015 Viper. I assume stock gear. I tried to attached a video here but it keeps saying it to large. I cropped it down to 1s but still no go.

Tx

Hus

Last edited:

Just looked at some of the other posts on this. What’s everyone doing? Pressing the bushing out & replacing or just replacing the gear? I’m in Canada & I saw a post about issues with shipping here.

Tx Cannondale. That’s the route I’ll be taking. New Yamaha part or aftermarket bushing? Seems most are replacing the bushing I believe?

What bushing do you guys use? I seem to be having issues sourcing a Viper bushing. All i'm seeing is Sidewinder top gears & bushings. Are they the same? I'm assuming the jack shaft on a 15 Viper is a different size?

What bushing do you guys use? I seem to be having issues sourcing a Viper bushing. All i'm seeing is Sidewinder top gears & bushings. Are they the same? I'm assuming the jack shaft on a 15 Viper is a different size?
Top gear is different width but bushing is same. I like the Kolenko bushing still tightest least wear after 3-4000mi for me but all I have used including stock have made one season for me. I just change it every season since you never know when it will be a big mile season the following and would be worried a lot if I ended up with anything over 4-5000 for sure.

Go with the bushing from mcmaster carr 2867t67. It's a bit better then the typical one most people use load bearing wise.. when you press it in the gear it will be to tight, it will have to be reamed a couple thousands most likely... don't hone it, it will not be parallel, get a expandable reamer, that will be key to long-term use.

Tx guys. I forgot to update this thread once the snow melted, sorry. I went with the Prevost bushing through TD here in Canada. Both guys were wicked to deal with. Gear fit perfect.

I was on the fence about upgrading to a sidewinder or upgrading the viper suspension & jackshaft and keeping what I got. Leaning toward the Viper as of now. So if I go that route and upgrade to the 16 jackshaft & bearing, will this 15 drive gear & bushing fit on the 16 jackshaft? Are the 15 & 16 jackshaft the same od?

I have a 15 viper, I did a 17 jackshaft with a single row top bearing in the orginal case... you will need to place a 4mm spacer to account for the narrow bearing.. but it all works well. The 17 jackshaft is way beefer. The issue with going this route is that with the 15 case and 17 jackshaft you can't use the bushing that dmc has made for the top gear. I tried but there is no clearance. That's why I went with the 2867t67 bushing.. the 16 jackshaft still uses the wobble bearing which I wanted to get away from

Kk tx, I thought the 16 got rid of the wobble bearing. I’ll go 17 as well. Ditching the wobble bearing is why I’m swapping the shaft. I don’t have any issues currently but at 15k I’m assuming it’s close

If you are going with the '17 jack shaft you will have to update to the '17 bearing and strut-arm the bearing is in on the clutch side to. I updated my '14 this way to get rid of that damn wobble bearing. As mentioned before you can use the same gear but have to add the shim to get it indexed to the correct alignment withe the other gears and shift fork. While you are in there I would suggest buying the Barn of Parts brass shift fork feet to replace the plastic ones that come with the sled from the factory.

Back