• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quick clutch question

Noise from the primary clutch is very normal, every yamaha ive owned such as 94 phazer 97 and 02 mm700 and my nytro all make the same noise, the pin that holds your roller in doesnt have the set screws like the pins for the weights, so they are alowed to move around, the bolt is just to hold the pin in, i would not suggest trying to modify the pins cuz if your clutch is even slightly unbalanced it will be big problems.

Yeah, I just left everything as is. Only makes the noise at certain rpm's. When on the throttle, can't really hear it.

BordnBill said:
It's the weirdest thing. I was just cleaning things up and noticed the bolt had some play in it. I tried tightening it down all the way so their was no play, but you have to wrench on it pretty hard, and didn't feel comfortable doing that. I place a nylon washer in all three, and out of all 3, only one had that play left. All 3 rollers still moved freely though. I decided to take out the washers thinking that if they belonged, then Yamaha would have installed them.
The torque setting on the rollers and wts for the Phazer is only 4.3 ft-lb (not sure about the Nytro) so you need to be careful not to over tighten. The bolts must be loose for a reason (mine are the same) - I don't know.

There is a fix for this do a search on nytro general talk. what they did was put in a nylon washer to make it tight= no rattling

I have thought of two options for dealing with the rattle. On my sled the majority of the noise is caused by the loose roller sleave bolt. The nut tightens up against the sleave before it contacts the clutch spider. On my sled there was about a .030" gap. The bolt easily slids back and forth. I installed a 3/16" nylon washer which fits around the sleave and takes up the gap bewtween the nut and spider. The rattle is basically gone now. I have not tried this on the hill yet. The other alternative would be to grind .030" off the sleave. My question is why is there a gap? When the clutch gets hot the aluminium would expand. Perhaps the Yamaha Engineers have a tolerance in there for a reason. I think I may remove the nylon washers and measure the gap between the nut and spider when the clutch is hot. I will compare this to gap on my buddy's clutch too.

I've tried the nylon washer thing, but only for a little idle time. After that, I noticed one of the washers broke, so decided to take the others out. I don't think it will last long on there, and there may be a reason that there is a little slop in bolts.

Back